Fire destroys house and treasured photos as elderly man made homeless


A man’s life has been turned upside down after his bungalow home was gutted by a devastating fire.

The blaze ripped through three houses around lunchtime on Saturday, April 16.

Twenty firefighters tried to save the homes by extinguishing the flames, as smoke could be seen billowing into the sky.

However, one bungalow was so badly damaged that it will need to be demolished, said the family affected.

Treasured photographs that were left inside the burning buildings have also been lost forever after being ravaged by flames.

A campervan which was based on the property was also severely damaged – while ‘gas canisters exploded in the aftermath’.



Their mobile home has been destroyed by the fire

The bungalow was owned by a man, a grandfather and pensioner aged 62, who had settled into the house on Sandhurst Road in Kingswinford, Dudley, to enjoy his retirement, report Birmingham Live.

However the pensioner has now been forced to live with relatives.

It is believed the fire was accidental – however West Midlands Fire Service has not yet provided an official comment on the cause.

A fundraising page has been set up to support the affected family in the wake of the blaze, with a fundraising goal of £1,000 set.

So far, more than £300 has been raised. Amanda Parker, the man’s daughter, who launched the page, wrote: “We are hoping to fundraise for a local family man in Kingswinford.

“He adored his bungalow on Sandhurst Road and settled into a peaceful street to enjoy his well-deserved retirement. Sadly, an extreme disaster has taken this all from him.

See also  Scottish Football Transfer News: Rangers ace linked with Gerrard reunion for 'less than £10m', Celtic's Tom Rogic rules out one move, Hibs legend keen for stay, Aberdeen legend hits out at club

“All that remains are the clothes that I have escaped this tragic disaster in. An unexplained, accidental fire ripped through the house causing total devastation.

“All that remains is around 10 per cent of this bungalow’s structure. Not only did this fire destroy a local man’s accommodation, it has also ripped away a life time worth of memories including special photographs.

“This fire has caused utter devastation to this family home. His beloved camper van was also severely damaged as sadly the fire spread to this too.

“Any support would be greatly appreciated. Can we help our local man get back on his feet from such a tragedy?”

A family source told BlackCountryLive that firefighters returned to the scene on Monday, April 18, to put out embers that had reignited. The source said “explosions” were also heard after gas canisters that were located on the property ignited, following the main blaze.

The source said: “It was our family that had had to go through absolute heartbreak with the house being demolished. We are all heartbroken.

“Nothing has been saved, years and years’ worth of memories have gone. At the moment he (the homeowner) is living with members of his family.

“He had just started to enjoy his retired life. We don’t know where the fire started because there was so much damage, the fire brigade put it as inconclusive.

“The fire brigade had to return on Monday morning, April 18, around 4am to put out embers that had started to reignite. There were explosions, due to gas canisters for the camper van and the garage – which was set up to be a little workshop for him to potter around in now he is retired.

See also  'I sent £85k to Chase bank and my money disappeared'

“The camper van was also a big part of his life and he loved going away in it as did family.”

Messages of support have flooded in for the family on the fundraising page. Jenny Cox, who donated to the page, wrote: “Absolutely devastating for him. Hopefully, this goes some way to rebuilding his home from him.”

Sereia wrote: “I can’t imagine what you are going through. All the best.”

Matt added: “Houses can be rebuilt. Glad everyone is safe.”

To donate to the fundraising page, visit justgiving.com. West Midlands Fire Service has been approached for comment.

Don’t miss the latest news from around Scotland and beyond – Sign up to our daily newsletter here.




www.dailyrecord.co.uk

Related Posts

George Holan

George Holan is chief editor at Plainsmen Post and has articles published in many notable publications in the last decade.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.