Family ‘stand by’ jailed rapist who ‘deliberately’ ignored police warnings

A convicted rapist who failed to notify police where he was living following his prison release has been sent back to jail.

Jamie Hart was added to the Sex Offenders Register and required to inform officers of his address as part of the notification requirements.

However, the 36-year-old “persistently and deliberately ignored” this demand despite police warnings.

Hart was convicted of rape and sentenced to seven and a half years behind bars in November 2013, Liverpool Crown Court heard.

He was also ordered to sign on the Sex Offenders Register for life, the Liverpool Echo reports.

Prosecutor Paul Blasbery explained that Hart’s notification requirements stated that if he had been in custody, or otherwise detained, he had to inform authorities of his release details, including his home address, within three days.

On February 8 this year he was released from prison.

On February 11 an officer contacted Hart, who told him he had gone to Wavertree Road and Bootle police stations, but both had been closed.

He claimed he had then called the police, but hadn’t been given a log number, and promised to attend again to complete the process.

On February 14 the officer checked whether Hart had done as he said he would, but he hadn’t, and by February 17 he had still not notified police of his address.

The officer contacted Hart and warned him again, but Hart said he had been in hospital having an operation.

The sex offender was given a list of police stations he could attend and when the officer rang him the next day, Hart said he was on his way to St Anne Street Police Station. However, by February 21, he still hadn’t notified the police of where he was living.

Hart was arrested on March 16, when he declined to be interviewed. He had still not notified officers of his address about him.

Hart, of no fixed address, admitted failing to comply with his notification requirements. He has 24 previous convictions for 43 offenses, including three previous breaches of his requirements.

The court heard for the first breach he was handed 12 weeks in prison, suspended for nine months, for the second in October 2020 he was jailed for 12 weeks, and for the third in August 2021 he was jailed for 26 weeks. He was then released from jail in February.

David Birrell, defending, said: “He does maintain on release he did initially make efforts to notify, going to two police stations, both of which were closed, and speaking to somebody on one of those yellow telephones outside the police station, but that doesn’t excuse what followed.

“He’s fortunate to have a supportive family, his mother sits in court. His father would be here, but for his ill health, and they stand by him.”

Judge Stuart Driver, QC, told Hart: “The facts are you persistently and deliberately, again and again, ignored police reminders and failed to notify the police officers of your address between February and March of this year.”

The judge said the case was aggravated by Hart’s previous convictions and three past breaches, and mitigated by his guilty plea, entitling him to a discount of one third off his sentence, plus conditions in prison during the pandemic.

Judge Driver said he had not been asked to consider guidelines on whether he should spare Hart prison, but if he had, he would have noted his “history of non-compliance” with court orders and that “appropriate punishment” could only be achieved by an immediate custodial sentence.

The judge jailed Hart for eight months, who sighed loudly and doubted to his mum as he was sent down.

Anyone with information or wants to report a sexual offense is asked to call 101 where you will be spoken to by specially trained officers. Or you can pass information to Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.

Support for victims is also available through the registered charity the Rape and Sexual Abuse Support Center Cheshire and Merseyside, who can be contacted on 01925 221 546 or 0330 363 0063 or Rape and Sexual Assault Merseyside (RASA) on 0151 558 1801. In an emergency ,always call 999.

Don’t miss the latest news from around Scotland and beyond – Sign up to our daily newsletter here.

Related Posts

George Holan

George Holan is chief editor at Plainsmen Post and has articles published in many notable publications in the last decade.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *