Family flee for their lives after scooter battery explodes and sets home on fire


Doris and Stephen Currie and their grandson Leon fear they have lost everything after the devastating fire left them trapped along with their dog at the home in Runcorn

Doris and Stephen Currie and their grandson Leon were hospitalized after the fire broke out

A family has been hospitalized after a scooter battery exploded and caused a blazing inferno.

Doris and Stephen Currie and their grandson Leon fear they have lost everything after the devastating fire left them trapped along with their dog.

The three were forced to run through the fire with no shoes on to escape, and had to be taken to hospital after suffering smoke inhalation and severe burns to their feet and hands.

Emergency services were called the house in Runcorn in the early hours of Sunday morning, the Liverpool Echo reports.

Neighbors had earlier rushed to the aid of Doris, Stephen and Leon after they were initially trapped inside the blazing house, with reports of one family friend kicking open the front door to allow them to escape.







They fear they have lost everything after the scooter battery exploded
(

Image:

Sharon Currie/Liverpool Echo)

Sharon Currie, daughter of Doris and Stephen and mum to Leon, said she was “terrified” and “couldn’t think” when she received a call saying her parents’ home was on fire. The 46-year-old who also lives in Runcorn said: “I got a call telling me there had been a fire and my parents and sons were in a really bad way.

“I just couldn’t think – my neighbor drove me to the house but the roads were blocked off by police. When we managed to get through I’ve never seen so many flashing lights – there were police, fire and ambulances just everywhere. “

Doris and Stephen, both in their 60s, and Leon were rushed to hospital after the fire where they still remain now. Sharon told the ECHO the family could be there for another week while they recover from exposure to the smoke and their burns.

Leon, 26, needs surgery to repair the skin on his hands after he touched a metal door handle during their escape. Mum Sharon said Leon went back to get his grandparents from their bedroom after he heard his “petrified” nan screaming.

She added the family are being kept apart and are only allowed one visitor at a time because of the risk of infection to their burns. After initial fears for the family’s 10-year-old dog Roxy they’ve been given the good news the dog is in a stable condition and is being kept at the vets.

But the family have nothing but the clothes they escaped in after the fire and smoke damage left all their possessions unsalvageable. Sharon said in parts of the house the floor has caved in following the blaze. The family are now waiting to be rehomed.

She told the ECHO : “My parents are absolutely devastated – especially my poor mum who is just in shock. They’re saying they’ve got nothing left now as they didn’t have home insurance.

“They were in that house for 33 years and were part of the community all that time. So many of their memories were made there.

“They’re just lucky they managed to get out – the damage to Leon’s bedroom and the hallway it’s a miracle they all managed to get out alive.”

A spokesperson for Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service said: “An investigation into the fire has been carried out jointly by Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service and Cheshire Police. The cause is believed to be accidental ignition.”

A fundraiser was made to help support Doris, Stephen and Leon after they lost all their possessions in the fire. You can donate to the fundraiser here.

Read More

Read More




www.mirror.co.uk

Related Posts

George Holan

George Holan is chief editor at Plainsmen Post and has articles published in many notable publications in the last decade.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *