Family cries in court as son is found guilty of murdering dad in horror attack

A family raised in court as a son was found guilty of killing his own father in a “ferocious, brutal and totally unforgiving” assault.

Neil Badrock admitted manslaughter after fatally injuring 51-year-old Neil Farrington in a horrifying five-minute street attack.

Witnesses described how the 28-year-old ‘volleyed’ his dad will screaming “I will f***ing kill you” as he repeatedly booted him in the head, the Liverpool Echo reports.

Badrock was still kicking his parent and shouting “What do you think about that?” when police arrived at the scene.

The defendant confessed to headbutting his victim to the ground before punching and kicking him because he was “angry” – but stated he never intended to seriously harm or kill him.

But a jury unanimously found him guilty of murder after six hours and 20 minutes of deliberation, following a four-day trial.

Badrock, of Kenbury Close, Kirkby, covered his mouth with his hand when the verdict was returned, while members of his family sobbed in the public gallery at Liverpool Crown Court.

He then slumped forward and bowed his head as Judge David Aubrey, QC, said: “There can be but one sentence and that is a sentence of life imprisonment.”

The trial heard Badrock set upon his dad on Monday, May 17 last year, following a 10-hour “pub crawl” on the first day after lockdown ended.

Mr Farrington suffered injuries including a broken skull and brain injury, and, after spending five weeks in a coma, died in hospital on June 21.

See also  Readers' Letters: Twitter takeover is not a win for free speech

Prosecutors said the victim had gone to The Mainbrace pub in Kirkby to try and calm his son down, after Badrock sent him texts about a man he had argued with at the pub, saying: “I will bite his f***ing windpipe out if I have to.”

At one point the “very drunk” are ordered two pints of Strongbow, two Jager bombs, two Southern Comfort with lemonades and a sambuca, all at the same time.

The trial heard Badrock was asked to leave the pub after telling his dad to “f*** off”, shortly after 11pm, before Mr Farrington caught up with him on Kirkby Row, close to its junction with Whitefield Drive.

A police forensic tent set up at the scene of the murder.
A police forensic tent set up at the scene of the murder

There, the court heard Mr Farrington told his son “I’m f***ing sick of it, I’ve put up with it for 20 years”, before pushing him and going to walk away.

A woman looking out a bedroom window said she saw Badrock turn his father around, then head butt him to the ground, at which point she rang police.

Rebecca Alger, who burst into tears when asked to relive the harrowing 999 call, described Badrock “bashing” Mr Farrington’s head on the pavement.

She said she could hear the noise of the younger man lifting the older man’s head up and “banging it down onto the pavement”, next to her front wall, before he started kicking and stamping on him.

Ms Alger said at least twice Badrock started to walk away before returning to continue his attack, and that she thought it was her sister who described him as “volleying” the victim in the head.

See also  The £100,000 potential Rangers misstep as Giovanni van Bronckhorst stands one slip from defensive crisis

Under questioning by Benjamin Myers, QC, defending, Ms Alger accepted Mr Farrington had first pushed Badrock away, but she said “not violently” and she thought this was a push to the chest, not a grabbing of the neck.

Guy Gozem, QC, prosecuting, said the attack was captured on grainy footage from a distant CCTV camera.

He said while Badrock may have gone down to the ground at the start of the incident, he immediately got back up, but after his father went down, “literally, he never gets up again.”

Mr Gozem said: “Plainly what Neil Badrock did to his father has nothing to do with self-defence. What he did was in one sense tragic – a son killing his father. But it was, you may conclude, ferocious, brutal, and totally unforgiving, going on as it did for such an extended period.”

When giving evidence, Badrock – who had no previous convictions – insisted: “I didn’t want it to get to the level it got to.”

The gym maintenance worker said his dad had earlier advised him to go home over text, but he didn’t want to because “I was enjoying myself”.

He said after he was thrown out of the pub, he realized he’d had “a ridiculous amount to drink” and just wanted to go home and sleep it off.

But he said his dad – who appeared “p****d” off – grabbed him by the throat and pinned him against a wall, which left him struggling to breathe.

See also  Ukraine-Russia: Homes for Ukraine is a 'gimmick', says refugee charity founder

The jury was shown photos taken after his arrest that showed marks on his neck, which he said were caused when “my dad had me by the throat.”

Badrock said he headbutted Mr Farrington, then had an experience similar to a “blackout”, telling the jury: “I just didn’t realize what I was doing.”

He had no explanation for punching and kicking his dad, saying: “I sit there every night before I go to sleep and I can’t understand why it led to what it led to.”

Asked how he felt, he said: “I feel sick… I have now lost a dad and it is devastating. It is devastating what I done. I can’t believe I have done that to my own dad.”

Under cross-examination by Mr Gozem, he said “After the headbutt, when he went to the floor, I just remember kicking him and punching him because I was raging at the time and I didn’t know he was unconscious from the headbutt… I just, like a switch had gone off in my head, I had lost control.”

Judge Aubrey said Badrock will be sentenced next Wednesday and remanded him in custody.

Related Posts

George Holan

George Holan is chief editor at Plainsmen Post and has articles published in many notable publications in the last decade.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.