Eddie Hearn gives an update on Anthony Joshua’s offer to allow Tyson Fury vs Oleksandr Usyk

[ad_1]

Promoter Eddie Hearn has cleared up speculation that Anthony Joshua is close to accepting a £15 offer to step aside from his rematch with Oleksandr Usyk to allow Tyson Fury a chance to unify.

The 42-year-old confirmed that his fighter has received an offer, but that negotiations on a deal are not as far along as some have reported.

He also claimed that the money being offered is not £15m, although he told the DAZN Boxing Show: “I’m not saying there isn’t truth to some of the articles in terms of the process.”

Joshua’s retraction would allow Fury to face Usyk with the WBC, WBA, IBF and WBO belts on the line.

Also, the door could be opened even wider with his scheduled fight with Dillian Whyte next month now looking ominous due to pay disagreements.

It is discussed that part of the proposed deal offered to Joshua would see the winner of the Fury-Usyk fight, which could take place in the Middle East, fight him next.

“There has been an offer, there have been various discussions with myself,” Hearn explained. “I don’t rule it out, it’s not my job. AJ is the boss: he will discard it or he will not discard it.

He’s very clever with the plan. He won’t want to.

Hearn insisted that Joshua “isn’t about the money” and “has never ducked anyone” but hinted that if the heavyweight felt it would help his progression, it might be a path he chooses to follow.

See also  Shanghai lockdown: Video emerges of clashes between angry residents and Covid officials in China

He continued: “Sometimes you have to think with your head. There’s a smart move here somewhere, but Anthony doesn’t care about the money.

“If the plan makes sense from a development standpoint – working with a new trainer, maybe having a fight first, getting into a much bigger fight – yes, I can see the sense in it.

“But with Anthony it’s never been a case of, ‘Here’s some money, are you tempted?’

“Because it’s not about that, it’s a retroactive fighter, it’s about legacy. All he is thinking about at the moment is beating Oleksandr Usyk.”

Regarding the contract situation, Hearn added: “There is no signed contract, there is a long way to go in terms of details.”

Hearn went on to state that the decision ultimately rests with Joshua and that so far his mindset has been entirely focused on the Usyk rematch.

He said: “All he wants to do is win back the world heavyweight title. Right now he has a great opportunity to do that in a rematch with Oleksandr Usyk.

“So any step aside, any other plan has to be solid.

“It’s not, ‘Yeah, I hope you get the winner,’ and then Fury fights Usyk and then Fury decides to go inactive for two years.

“He is not looking for another fight, looking to step aside.

“He, as always, will be the one who makes the decisions. He has made it clear right now what that shot looks like.”

Fury has been sharing his frustration at the uncertainty of the future with his WBC mandatory fight against Whyte scheduled for March 26.

See also  Five times royals put foot down with Prince Andrew - stripped titles and axed party

It now seems increasingly unlikely that this will be the date he steps into a British ring for the first time in over three years as Whyte is unhappy with the proposed 80:20 purse split.

Also, the deadline for a deal to be worked out for the fight is today (Wednesday).



[ad_2]
www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk

Related Posts

George Holan

George Holan is chief editor at Plainsmen Post and has articles published in many notable publications in the last decade.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.