East Kilbride 0, Sauchie 2: Sauchie send Kilby spinning out of the South Challenge Cup

East Kilbride were sent crashing out of the South of Scotland Challenge Cup after East of Scotland League side Sauchie turned in a second half super show to set up a semi-final against Auchinleck Talbot.

Jack Docherty was the hero for the visitors, setting up goals for Ross Crawford and Brian Morgan.

East Kilbride certainly weren’t without their chances and probably dominated in that aspect in the first half.

While Sauchie had more openings, some of Kilby’s were of the clear-cut variety.

However, Sauchie came out and hit their hosts hard in the second half, and had the game effectively tied up just after the hour-mark.

An entertaining first half ended goal-less, but that wasn’t through lack of effort from both sides.

Sauchie certainly weren’t overawed by their higher league opponents, and had some good chances of their own.

Kilby probably had the better of the chances, and maybe edged it in the first half, but both sides had an effort off the line and a chance where you felt they really had to score.

The second half was just three minutes old when Sauchie took the lead and they dominated after that, scoring their second in 62 minutes through Morgan’s terrific header.

New East Kilbride boss Kevin Rutkiewicz made two changes from last week’s emphatic Lowland League Cup win over Gretna 2008 last weekend. In came Aidan McDonald and Ross Taylor, for Neil McLaughlin and Chris Millar.

Jamie Stevenson was outstanding in the first half, clearing a Sauchie effort off the line

Sauchie coach Fraser Duncan made five changes from their 2-0 East of Scotland Qualifying Cup win over Newtongrange Star on Wednesday. Goalkeeper Charles Clark, captain Scott Davidson, Danny Smith, Sam Columbine, Sam Davidson and Brian Morgan came in for keeper Evan Columbine, Iain Syme, Darren Carroll, Kris Kelly, Grant Dickie and Connor Kelly.;

More sports news from across Lanarkshire

Sauchie threatened first, with Jack Docherty sent down the left, but his low, dangerous cross was booted past for a corner, which Conor Brennan collected.

The visitors tried again in five minutes, with Danny Smith’s corner from the right played back out to him and his cross was fired well over by Scott Davidson.

Steven Old rose for a header that was heading for the left corner in nine minutes, but it was headed off the line and his follow-up was high and wide of the same post.

At the other end, Craig Comrie had a go from around 25 yards, but it flew over the bar.

Sauchie survived a hand-ball claim against defender Jon Tully in 12 minutes and when play raged on, Kilby’s Daniel McManus saw his low shot well blocked by Clark, before firing the rebound wide.

Smith’s free kick from the right caused some havoc in the Kilby box in 14 minutes, with Scott Davidson eventually volleying narrowly over the top right corner from the left side of the box.

The hosts should have taken the lead in 19 minutes when Liam Watt sent Ross Taylor through on goal, but he sent his shot high and wide from the top right corner.

Joao Victoria was left frustrated on a couple of occasions in the first half
Joao Victoria was left frustrated on a couple of occasions in the first half

Kilby were handed a great chance again in 25 minutes when Taylor was sent through on goal, but Clark did well to block his shot at the right post.

Cammy Elliot was given a sight of goal two minutes later, but Tully blocked well and took the sting out of his shot, with Clark gathering.

Sauchie had a couple of flurries up front, and a hopeful penalty claim for what looked like a coming together, but Sam Davidson sent a low shot past the right post in 34 minutes.

The visitors nearly took the lead in 38 minutes through Sam Davidson’s deflected strike that Jamie Stevenson did well to clear off the line at the left post.

But Kilby went close in 42 minutes when Stevenson’s cross from the right was headed just over by Bernard Coll.

Sauchie should have scored on the stroke of half-time when Scott Davidson made his way to the right bye-line and cut the ball back to Sam Columbine, who blasted over when it looked easier to score.

The visitors took the lead three minutes into the second half when Craig Comrie and Smith combined to set up Jack Docherty on the left, and his cut-back was tapped into the net by Crawford.

It took Kilby some time to get back on their feet, and in 59 minutes Watt saw a curling shot well held by Clark.

But Sauchie nearly doubled their lead just moments later when Sam Davidson’s corner from the right was met with a shot by Morgan, which a defender sliced ​​over his own bar.

On the hour-mark the industrious Smith saw a low shot well held by Brennan.

But Sauchie raced up the other end and doubled their lead in 62 minutes when Docherty’s cross from the left was headed on an angle by Morgan into the left corner.

Coll’s cross from the left was headed past the near post corner by sub Jack Stainrod in 68 minutes as East Kilbride tried to force their way back into the game.

They tried again in 85 minutes, but Ross McLaughlin sent his shot high over the bar.

Inside stoppage time Cammy Elliot hit the left post with a shot, but it would have been mere consolation anyway.

EAST KILBRIDE: Brennan, Stevenson, Coll, Old, McDonald, Owen, Taylor (R. McLaughlin, 78), McManus, Elliot, Watt (Fellowes, 83), Victoria (Stainrod, 65).

Subs (not used): King (GK), McGuire, McAninch, Stewart.

SAUCHIE: Clark, Finlayson, Scott Davidson, Tully, Comrie, Smith (McMahon, 90+2), S. Columbine, Sam Davidson, Docherty, Morgan, Crawford (K. Kelly, 90).

Subs (not used): E. Columbine (GK), C. Kelly.

Booked: Comrie (88).

Referee: Ryan Lee.

All the latest sport news in Lanarkshire

Follow Lanarkshire Live Sport onTwitter via@LanLiveSport, like us onFacebookor find us onInstagramfor the latest sports news, pictures and video.


Related Posts

George Holan

George Holan is chief editor at Plainsmen Post and has articles published in many notable publications in the last decade.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *