DWP launches new service to help people request State Pension updates following bereavement

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) has announced a new, dedicated service to help people through one of the most harrowing and challenging times of their life.

Anyone who has suffered a loss can now contact DWP Bereavement Services through a single phone number, 0800 151 2012, to report a death and find out what financial support is available.

This includes:

  • Making a new or, managing an existing claim for Bereavement Benefit or Bereavement Support Payment
  • Making a new or, managing an existing claim for Funeral Expenses Payments
  • Requesting State Pension updates following the death of a spouse or civil partner

People living in Scotland can also claim a Funeral Support Payment to help pay for funeral costs.

It usually will not cover the full cost of the funeral but it should help pay for some costs and can be paid either to you or to the funeral director who’s helping you plan the funeral. Find out more on the Scottish Government website here.

Who can apply for a Funeral Support Payment?

You can claim for a Funeral Support Payment if all of the following apply:

  • you live in Scotland

  • you or your partner are getting certain benefits or tax credits

  • the person who died lived in the UK

  • the funeral is being held in the UK or in some circumstances in the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland

  • you are applying after the person has died, until six months after the date of their funeral

  • you or your partner are responsible for the funeral

  • it is reasonable for you or your partner to accept responsibility for the funeral costs

Usually, it is reasonable for the nearest relative of the person who died to accept responsibility for the funeral costs.

A nearest relative could be a partner, child, parent or sibling. If you or your partner are not the nearest relative, you’ll need to explain to Social Security Scotland when you apply, why it’s reasonable to have accepted responsibility.

Benefits and Tax Credits you or your partner must receive to qualify

You or your partner must get one or more of the following:

  • Child Tax Credit

  • Universal Credit

  • Income Support

  • Pension Credit

  • Working Tax Credit (disability or severe disability element)

  • Housing Benefit

  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA), not contribution-based JSA

  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), not contribution-based ESA

how to apply

Before applying for Funeral Support Payment, you should:

  • register the death of the person who died

  • check that you’re eligible for Funeral Support Payment

  • consider giving your funeral director consent to speak with Social Security Scotland about your application

To complete this form, you will need:

  • your National Insurance number

  • details of the funeral director

  • any travel receipts or funeral bills you have so far

  • your bank account details, if you’d like Social Security Scotland to pay you and not your funeral director

To find out more, or to apply online, visit the dedicated section on MyGov.Scot website here.

To keep up to date with the latest benefits news, join our Money Saving Scotland Facebook group here, follow Record Money on Twitter hereor subscribe to our twice weekly newsletter here.


Related Posts

George Holan

George Holan is chief editor at Plainsmen Post and has articles published in many notable publications in the last decade.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *