Dog saves elderly owner’s life by opening door for firefighters during house fire


Brave pooch Chi Chi managed to unlock the entrance to allow firefighters to enter and help his elderly owner who had collapsed on the kitchen floor due to fumes

Firefighters Ryan Luffman and Elsie Emery with Crew Manager John Wenglorz with Mr Green and his dog Chi Chi.
Firefighters Ryan Luffman and Elsie Emery with Crew Manager John Wenglorz with Mr Green and his dog Chi Chi.

They’re part of our family and a man’s best friend – as one clever pooch proved recently.

Pooch Chi Chi has been hailed after saving her owners’ life by opening a LOCKED door for fire crews during a kitchen blaze.

The dog managed to unlock the entrance and let a fire crew in after his owner collapsed on the kitchen floor.

Now the fire crew have praised the clever mutt for coming to their aid while they struggled to gain access to the home in Yeovil, Somerset.

Responders were searching for another entrance when they heard a “click” as the dog managed to unlock the door to let them in.

Brave pooch Chi Chi managed to unlock the entrance

Get the news you want straight to your inbox. Sign up for a Mirror newsletter here

They found the man, named only as Mr Green, collapsed on the floor in the kitchen as the fire took hold on the hob.

Firefighters then swiftly put out the blaze and carried out first aid until paramedics arrived.

Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service said “a potential disaster” was averted with help from the dog.

They said they were called to the scene after a smoke detector was activated and a Careline alarm was sounded.

Mr Green initially answered the call but operators at Careline lost communication.

The spokesperson added: “Within six minutes, our crew was on scene and investigating.

“They could hear the alarm but were unable to establish contact with the occupant inside.

“With curtains drawn the crew could not see inside but could hear a dog barking. They tried the front door, but it wouldn’t open. As the crew looked for another entrance, they heard a “click” and the front door opened.

“The crew went inside to find a man collapsed on the floor in the kitchen whilst a fire was beginning to take hold on the cooker.

“They contacted the ambulance service, whilst extinguished the fire and ventilated the property.

“Firefighters then carried out first aid and stabilised the casualty until paramedics arrived.

“It wasn’t until later in the incident that they discovered that Chi Chi had managed to open the front door and let the crew inside.”

Ian Bolton, Crew Manager for Home and Partnerships at Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service added: “Having monitored detection in people’s homes means the fire service are only minutes away from providing lifesaving assistance.

“This is a real success story and highlights the importance of joint working between Careline and the fire service.

“Careline’s system, combined with the speed of our crews getting to the incident, saved Mr Green’s life. The cherry on the cake, however, was Chi Chi letting the crews in before they had to force entry to the property.”

Read More

Read More




www.mirror.co.uk

See also  Thank You Day: Tartan Tea Party on June 5 is a chance to demonstrate the power of kindness – Jane-Claire Judson

Related Posts

George Holan

George Holan is chief editor at Plainsmen Post and has articles published in many notable publications in the last decade.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.