Dog owners warned as couple’s pup drops dead hours after playing in lake

[ad_1]

Accountant Jordan Shearman, 24, and his girlfriend Hannah Washington, have been left devastated after their beloved one-year-old cocker spaniel, Roo, died hours after frolicking in the waters of Anton Lakes in Andover, Hampshire

A young couple have been left devastated after their beloved spaniel puppy collapsed and died just hours after playing in a nearby lake.

Jordan Shearman, a 24 year old accountant, and Hannah Washington took photos and video of their one-year-old cocker spaniel Roo as he frolicked in the water.

But shortly after, the previously healthy pup began foaming at the mouth and fitting, reports Wiltshire Live.

They rushed him to nearby vets but despite their efforts he died a little later that day.

Tests are now being carried out on the water as the couple fear Roo swallowed something poisonous and that the lake could be contaminated with dangerous blue or green algae.

Mr Shearman, of Andover, Hants, is keen to warn other dog owners of the dangers after the incident at the idyllic-looking nearby Anton Lakes.







The couple noticed something “wasn’t right” as soon as they got the little pup home
(

Image:

Solent News & Photo Agency)

He said: “We did notice that a lot of the areas he would usually swim were incredibly dirty, much more so than normal, so we didn’t spend so much time swimming in those areas, however he did jump in briefly for a lot of them.

“The walk was going fine, and we spent quite some time playing together in some of the cleaner areas of the lakes, and Roo was fine in himself.

“The only thing we started to notice at the end of the walk was that his eyes became a little droopy and his third eyelid began to show. We figured he had gotten too much water in his eyes so we decided to end the walk and return to the car.







Jordan is pictured with Roo in the water at Andover Lakes in Hampshire
(

Image:

Solent News & Photo Agency)

“We drove five minutes to our home and, as we parked up, we knew straight away something was wrong.

“Roo was extremely agitated and struggling to stand up, so I took him into the front with me in the passenger seat while my partner rushed to Strathmore Veterinary clinic.

“While in my arms Roo began to have fits, struggling to breath, foaming at the mouth. It was the worst experience of my life having to hold him, speaking to him, telling him mummy and daddy loved him.”

The vet, in Andover, was able to help Roo to breath, and administered injections in the hope of counteracting any poisonous substances he may have come into contact with.







The couple described the pup as their “first child”
(

Image:

Solent News & Photo Agency)

But, though his vitals became somewhat stable, his heart stopped beating and he died at around 7pm on Saturday.

Mr Shearman added: “Our worst nightmare had happened – our precious, young, baby Roo had lost his life, so suddenly.

“My partner and I are only 23 and 24, and we have just celebrated a year in our first home together, and a year with what can only be described as our first child in Roo.

“He was everything in our lives, quite literally. Our lives, our habits, our plans, revolved around our lovely pup, and so I can’t even begin to describe the pain we are in.”

He and Ms Washington, a 23 year old nursery worker, are now determined to get to the root cause of Roo’s death.

Mr Shearman said: “The vet has said it is impossible to pinpoint exactly what has caused this to happen to our baby boy, but it was likely a reaction to something poisonous.

“Following research, it could also have been blue algae in the water. We would really like to have the council check the water for blue algae, and check the area for anything poisonous that could have been placed down.

“Ultimately, we want answers, but more importantly, we don’t want anyone else going through the tragedy we have had to face.”

A Test Valley Borough Council spokesperson said: “We have received a report of a dog sadly passing away following a walk at Anton Lakes over the weekend.

“The water at Anton Lakes is currently being sampled and tested to make sure there are no signs of blue or green algae.

“These can be potentially dangerous to people and dogs, and we want to make sure the lakes remain safe. While we are waiting for the results, we’d recommend keeping your pets out of the water in the meantime.

“For more information on blue green algae, you can visit the Lake District National Park website: Blue green algae : Lake District National Park.”

Read More

Read More



[ad_2]
www.mirror.co.uk

See also  Politicians voice 'serious concerns' as 60 asylum seekers move into Lanarkshire hotel

Related Posts

George Holan

George Holan is chief editor at Plainsmen Post and has articles published in many notable publications in the last decade.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.