Dad helps deliver baby son in holiday cottage before bringing him back to life


The Clayton family were enjoying a holiday a few months before their second child was due, but dad Tony soon had to deliver his own son before resuscitating him

Undated handout photo issued by Scottish Ambulance of Max (left), Alex Clayton (centre-left), Fraser (centre) and Tony Hayward (right) meeting up with ambulance service call handler Lorna Milward (centre-right), who helped deliver baby Fraser when he was born prematurely while they holidayed in Scotland.  Issue date: Tuesday March 22, 2022. PA Photo.  Alex Clayton was 34 weeks pregnant when she went into labor at the holiday cottage where she had been enjoying a break with her husband Tony and their son Max.  Ms Milward, who was based at the Ambulance Control Center in Inverness, was
Max (left), Alex Clayton (centre-left), Fraser (centre) and Tony Hayward (right) meeting up with ambulance service call handler Lorna Milward (centre-right)

A holidaying dad had to deliver his baby son with the help of an ambulance call before bringing him back to life.

Alex Clayton was 34 weeks pregnant when she was on holiday with her husband Tony and their son Max.

After she suddenly went into labour, dad Tony was talked through how to deliver his own child.

But then, when born unresponsive, he had to bring him back to life.

The family had been staying in a holiday cottage in Fife, Scotland, when she went into Labor in the middle of the night, Yorkshire Live reports.

The family had been recovering from a bug when mum Alex woke up in the night feeling sick.

When she went to the bathroom she realized her water had broken and the baby was half-delivered.

Fraser, who was born prematurely whilst his parents were on holiday in Scotland



Ambulance Lorna Milward meeting up with mum Alex who’s baby she helped deliver



The almost-newborn was in a brief position and its head was stuck.

Mr Clayton said he was “terrified” when he realized his wife was giving birth in June 2021 as he met ambulance call handler Lorna Milward, for the first time.

He called 999 and it was Ms Milward who answered the call from a control center in Inverness.

He said she was: “cool, calm and collected” as he panicked, and she talked to him through how to deliver their newborn son, who they named Fraser.

If that wasn’t enough, after delivery, Ms Milward had to instruct him how to bring his own son back to life after the baby was born unresponsive.

Paramedics then arrived and the family were taken to Victoria Hospital in Kirkcaldy.

After a week in intensive care Fraser was well enough to return home

Mrs Clayton said: “It all happened so quickly, but I just remember how Lorna was so good at giving directions to us over the phone.

“If it wasn’t for Lorna, I don’t think Fraser would have made it.

“We hope we can stay in touch and keep her up to date with how he’s doing, as she is now part of our family story.”

He added: “When I realized what was happening I was terrified and felt utterly out of my depth.

“Lorna was the very opposite – cool, calm and collected, she was able to talk to me through something which I would never have been able to do without her on the end of the phone. We will be forever grateful to her.”

Ms Milward was given a commendation for her actions by bosses at the Scottish Ambulance Service after helping to deliver the youngster.

The Mirror’s newsletter brings you the latest news, exciting showbiz and TV stories, sport updates and essential political information.

The newsletter is emailed out first thing every morning, at 12 noon and every evening.

Never miss a moment by signing up to our newsletter here.

She met the family at Edinburgh ambulance station, where big brother Max was also given the chance to see inside an ambulance.

She said: “I was always wondering about them, so I was pleased to get the chance to be able to meet them in real life.

“Once you are finished with a call you go straight onto the next one, so it was amazing to find out what happened, and to meet Fraser.”

Speaking about the delivery, she added: “Alex did so well. It was the first time a call like this had come through for me, and when I realized it was a breech birth at home, that the baby was the wrong way round, I knew that it would be challenging.

“It was a traumatic, life-changing moment for both Alex and Tony, so I knew I had to keep them calm and deliver the instructions on what to do, until the paramedics arrived.

“Alex and Tony worked well together which was vital in the safest delivery and care of Fraser, given the traumatic circumstances.”

Read More

Read More


See also  'I'm not untouchable' admits Tyson Fury ahead of Dillian Whyte fight

Related Posts

George Holan

George Holan is chief editor at Plainsmen Post and has articles published in many notable publications in the last decade.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.