Dad accused of murdering teen he met on night out and dumping her body at beauty spot


Lewis Haines, of Lamphey, Pembrokeshire, has appeared at Haverfordwest Magistrates Court in Wales accused of murdering 18-year-old Lily Sullivan, whose body was found on Friday morning

Lewis Haines has been accused of killing Lily Sullivan

A man accused of strangling a teenager to death has been pictured for the first time.

Yesterday Lewis Haines was charged with murdering 18-year-old Lily Sullivan.

Her body was found in ponds that lie in the shadow of Pembroke Castle in West Wales in the early hours of Friday morning.

Haines, of Lamphey, Pembrokeshire, appeared at Haverfordwest Magistrates Court on Tuesday, when it was heard that Lily was found dead just a few hours after meeting him for the first time.

The pair were seen in conversation at a nightclub called The Out in Pembroke, West Wales.

Prosecutor Michael Cray said: “On the 17th of December Lewis Haines took a lift to Pembroke and went to Paddles nightclub now known as The Out.

Lily Sullivan was found dead after going out with friends
(

Image:

WALES NEWS SERVICE)

“While he was there he met Lily who he did not know prior to that evening.

“They are seen on CCTV in conversation at a table before they left separately.”

Mr Cray said they were seen together on CCTV in a nearby lane, but there was then a “gap” in the video recording.

He said: “Haines was later seen crossing the mill pond bridge – he was running towards Pembroke Dock.

“Lily was found deceased in the mill pond some time later.”

Lewis Haines appeared in court on Tuesday

Haines, dressed in a grey sweatshirt, only spoke to confirm his name, address and date of birth during the five-minute hearing.

Scaffolder Haines, of Lamphey, Pembroke, made no formal plea and his lawyer Tom Lloyd did not address the court.

Chairman of the bench David Ellis remanded the father-of-one in custody and he will appear at Swansea Crown Court on Thursday.

Flowers have been laid at the mill pond next to historic Pembroke Castle in memory of supermarket worker Lily.

Detectives are still appealing for help from anyone who saw Lily at the Christmas festivities in the nightclub last week.

The teenager’s mother Anna was said to be “devastated” at losing her only child just a week before Christmas.

In tribute, her parents said: “Lily was a kind and caring daughter who will be deeply missed by everyone.

“The family are very thankful to all of Lily’s friends for their support.”

Family friend Byron John said: “Lily was a sweet and lovely young woman, well spoken and very grown up for her years.

“She had the whole of her life in front of her. It’s just terrible.

Haines will appear at Swansea Crown Court on Thursday

“Her mother Anna doted on her, she was an only child and they were very close.”

Friends said Lily was a typical 18-year-old who loved fashion, music and nights out with friends.

Police issued a picture of Lily taken on the night she was last seen alive.

She was wearing a white cropped top, blue jeans with ripped knees, a white belt and black patent boots. She had a spider tattoo on her chest and black hair bleached at the front.

A Dyfed-Powys Police spokesman said: “Lily’s family continue to be supported by specialist officers and our thoughts are with them at this incredibly hard time.

“The investigation team is grateful for the support of the community whilst enquiries were conducted.”

Lily was found in ponds beneath Pembroke Castle
(

Image:

WALES NEWS SERVICE)

Detectives have appealed for information over Lily’s death as they try to pinpoint her final movements.

Lily is believed to have been out with friends in the west Wales town from about 7.30pm on Thursday night and officers want to speak to anyone who may have seen her.

Detective Supt Paul Jones, said: “I would like to thank everyone who has contacted police with information, which is helping us build a picture of what happened to Lily.

“I would also like to thank the community for their support as the investigation continues.”




www.mirror.co.uk

See also  Boris Johnson writes to Angela Rayner to insist 'misogynistic' claims were not in his name

Related Posts

George Holan

George Holan is chief editor at Plainsmen Post and has articles published in many notable publications in the last decade.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.