Cristiano Ronaldo is now rated the same as Jack Grealish in terms of ability on Football Manager 2022, with Lionel Messi no longer rated as the best player in the world.
The Main Winter Update is out now for Football Manager 2022, with Sports Interactive releasing a new player database (22.3.0) with updated attributes that aim to reflect real-life form. The Main Winter Update for FM22 also contains a brand new Versus mode that allows players to face each other online.
And in the new FM22 database (22.3.0) that was released as part of the Main Winter Update, Manchester United forward Ronaldo has suffered a huge downgrade on the game following a severe loss of form, which has seen the five-time Ballon d ‘Or winner drop from the seventh-highest rated player on the game to 33rd. Ronaldo’s long-term rival Messi has also suffered a big downgrade, with the Argentine falling from the best player in the world on the game down to fourth, behind Robert Lewandowski, Kevin De Bruyne and Kylian Mbappe.
ALSO READ: We ‘signed’ Antonio Rudiger for Man United next season and he replaced Harry Maguire
Ronaldo’s CA on FM22 is now 167 out of 200, which now ranks him the same as City midfielder Grealish (167), with the likes of Vinicius Junior (166), Antonio Rudiger (166), Luis Suarez (166), Antoine Griezmann ( 166), Lautaro Martinez (166), Edouard Mendy (165), Rodri (165) and Mason Mount (164) close to the forward’s rating. At United, Ronaldo is now no longer the best player at the club, with Bruno Fernandes (169) taking that prize.
Other players now ranked higher than Ronaldo in terms of ability on FM22 include Joao Cancelo, Heung-Min Son, Raheem Sterling, Ederson, N’Golo Kante, Romelu Lukaku, Bernardo Silva, Thomas Muller, Luka Modric, Joshua Kimmich, Erling Haaland, Harry Kane, Neymar, Karim Benzema and Mohamed Salah.
Here are the top 50 players in world football based on ability, according to Football Manager 2022.
- Robert Lewandowski – Bayern Munich (190/200)
- Kevin De Bruyne – Manchester City (187/200)
- Kylian Mbappe – Paris Saint-Germain (186/200)
- Lionel Messi – Paris Saint-Germain (186/200)
- Mohammed Salah – Liverpool (184/200)
- Virgil van Dijk – Liverpool (180/200)
- Karim Benzema – Real Madrid (180/200)
- Neymar – Paris Saint-Germain (180/200)
- Harry Kane – Tottenham Hotspur (179/200)
- Thibaut Courtois – Real Madrid (178/200)
- Manuel Neuer – Bayern Munich (178/200)
- Joshua Kimmich – Bayern Munich (178/200)
- Erling Haaland – Borussia Dortmund (177/200)
- Jan Oblak – Atletico Madrid (176/200)
- Sadio Mane – Liverpool (176/200)
- Luka Modric – Real Madrid (174/200)
- Marc-Andre ter Stegen – Barcelona (174/200)
- Alisson – Liverpool (174/200)
- Thomas Muller – Bayern Munich (174/200)
- Bernardo Silva – Manchester City (174/200)
- Romelu Lukaku – Chelsea (171/200)
- Ruben Dias – Manchester City (171/200)
- N’Golo Kante – Chelsea (170/200)
- Ederson – Manchester City (170/200)
- Toni Kroos – Real Madrid (169/200)
- Bruno Fernandes – Manchester United (169/200)
- Raheem Sterling – Manchester City (169/200)
- Leroy Sane – Bayern Munich (169/200)
- Heung-Min Son – Tottenham Hostpur (168/200)
- Aymeric Laporte – Manchester City (168/200)
- Jack Grealish – Manchester City (167/200)
- Joao Cancelo – Manchester City (167/200)
- Cristiano Ronaldo – Manchester United (167/200)
- Vinicius Junior – Real Madrid (166/200)
- Antonio Rudiger – Chelsea (166/200)
- Luis Suarez – Atletico Madrid (166/200)
- Lautaro Martinez – Inter (166/200)
- Antoine Griezmann – Atletico Madrid (165/200)
- Edward Mendy – Chelsea (165/200)
- Leon Goretzka – Bayern Munich (165/200)
- Rodri – Manchester City (165/200)
- Mason Mount-Chelsea (164/200)
- Jorginho – Chelsea (164/200)
- Fabinho – Liverpool (164/200)
- Mateo Kovacic – Chelsea (164/200)
- Frenkie de Jong – Barcelona (164/200)
- David Alaba – Real Madrid (164/200)
- Serge Gnabry – Bayern Munich (164/200)
- Thiago Alcantara – Liverpool (164/200)
- Nicolo Barella – Inter (164/200)
- Angel Di Maria – Paris Saint-Germain (164/200)
- Sergej Milinkovic-Savic – Lazio (164/200)
Ronaldo has also suffered a significant downgrade in his individual attributes, which are ranked out of 20. His dribbling (14-12), crossing (14-13), first touch (17-15), free-kick taking (11-10) ), marking (3-1), decisions (16-13), leadership (19-18), teamwork (7-6), vision (14-12), acceleration (15-13), agility (12-11) and pace (16-13) have all been reduced in the latest update.
What do you make of the latest Football Manager 2022 update? Let us know in the comments.
Sign up to our United newsletter so you never miss an update from Old Trafford this season.
Catch up on all the latest Reds headlines in our Man United section
George Holan is chief editor at Plainsmen Post and has articles published in many notable publications in the last decade.