Couple’s eight years of living in mold hell that’s so bad ‘it’s eating their furniture’


Dawn and Tony Willis have lived in their bungalow in near Driffield in Hull, for nearly 11 years, in which time black mold has been allowed to grow in the bedrooms ruining their furniture.

Dawn and Tony Willis have been experiencing terrible mold problems in their council bungalow in Cranswick for eight years
Dawn and Tony Willis have been experiencing terrible mold problems in their council bungalow in Cranswick for eight years

A vulnerable couple claim their eight-year-old damp and mold hell in their council home is now so bad it’s ‘eating through their furniture’.

Dawn and Tony Willis have lived in their bungalow in near Driffield in Hull, for nearly 11 years, in which time black mold has been allowed to grow in the bedrooms ruining their furniture.

They say they have been told during inspection visits that it is due to condensation from breathing.

The problem is now at the point where the couple say they’ve noticed their sinuses have become ‘bunged up’ and they are both worried the situation could be exacerbating their pre-existing health conditions.

East Riding of Yorkshire Council said work was due to start on the property soon to address the issues, reports Hull Live.

Dawn, 53, suffers from rheumatoid arthritis as well as being in remission for cancer, while mechanic Tony also has a lung condition.

But the pair say they can’t move from the property for financial reasons, as well as Dawn struggling with a bad back from a head-on car crash she was in over 20 years ago.

Black mold in a corner of a room
(

Image:

Duncan Young)

“It started eight years ago in the two bedrooms and it’s just got worse,” said former nurse Dawn.

“The little bedroom is now just black and the wallpaper is peeling away. We’ve had to throw out our own furniture because of it and you can smell it when you walk in – it’s disgusting.

“It’s even eaten through the back of a wardrobe which was against the wall.

“We don’t know what we’re breathing in.”

Dawn and Tony have tried all kinds of DIY solutions to fix the short-term problem and they’ve had a council inspector out 14 times over the eight years. They claim they were told the problem is caused by condensation from breathing mixed with dead skin, as well as having furniture “only an inch from the walls”.

They’re now seeking legal advice.

The couple came forward off the back of another Driffield resident, Amy Robinson, who has reported problems with mold in her council home.

Amy claims a council inspector similarly told her the problem was caused by condensation from drying clothes indoors.

The couple say they have tried everything to get rid of the mold
(

Image:

Duncan Young)

Air vents were put in at Dawn and Tony’s bungalow to improve ventilation in the rooms, but the couple said this has not improved the problem and only made the house colder.

They’ve also spent thousands on the property over the years with the council’s permission, renovating the bathroom, installing new windows and even a driveway.

“We’ve spent too much on the house now to move again,” Dawn explained.

“Moving is expensive and we can’t afford it.”

A spokesperson for East Riding of Yorkshire Council, which rents the property to the couple, said: “Following a recent inspection at the property, work will shortly begin to address the issues identified.

“We will maintain contact during and following the work at the property with the tenants to ensure these issues are resolved in a satisfactory manner.”

Read More

Read More




www.mirror.co.uk

See also  To Costa Rica to telecommute | The traveler

Related Posts

George Holan

George Holan is chief editor at Plainsmen Post and has articles published in many notable publications in the last decade.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.