Supermarket retailer Tesco has shown prices rising by almost 20% compared to the time before Covid-19 hit the UK putting more pressure on cash-strapped families across the country
The prices of the same items at a Tesco have increased by nearly 20% in the two years before the Covid-19 pandemic.
The cost of living is on the rise, largely due to the pandemic, and poverty campaigners have shared their concern about how this will impact families.
Energy bills are also taking a hit and so families are keen to shop savvy and buy groceries for the cheapest price.
But it seems Tesco has had to increase prices as a list which cost £70.61 in January 2020 cost £83.26 today – an approximate 18% rise.
The 50 items in the trolley would typically feed a family for a week, Manchester Evening News says, and includes sausages, cereal and crisps.
Tom Maddick SWNS)
Out of the 50 items bought, 32 had increased – with five items either doubling or more than doubling in price.
Seven items cost the same as before, with 11 costing less, mostly thanks to the retailer’s Aldi Price Match scheme, which has now been extended to cover 650 products.
But while the biggest decrease was 85p – with Maris Piper potatoes down from £2 to £1.15 (almost a 74% decrease) – the biggest increase was a whopping 137%, with Mr Kipling Angel Slices up from £1.20 to £2.85.
Tesco’s own angel cake wasn’t far behind, rising from 62p to £1.35 – a 118% hike.
And three items to double in price were 500g Clover spread, from £1 to £2, Soreen malt loaf, from 60p to £1.20, and a six-pack of Pitch brioche up from 75p to £1.50.
Other products with the biggest rises included 700g Rice Krispies, up from £2.50 to £3.50, Richmond skinless sausages, up from £1.40 to £2, a six-pack of Hula Hoops, up from £1 to £1.75, and vanilla cheesecake , up from £2 to £3.25.
While Tesco is still selling cheaper packs of pasta – a 500g pack of spaghetti for 20p – other varieties like the conchiglie pasta shells 1kg and the 500g spirali pasta 500G are up by 30p and 5p, taking them to £1.30 and 70p respectively.
A Tesco spokesperson said: “There are a number of reasons why these specific items could have varied in price over time, such as seasonal special offers and regular updates to the products which are available on Clubcard prices.
“The first basket was clearly chosen to include many products that were on offer – while the second basket contained only one product that was on offer.
“In reality, customers can easily find cheaper alternatives by checking our latest offers and shopping across the range.
“We’re committed to giving our customers everyday great value through the expansion of our Aldi Price Match, Everyday Low Prices to more than 1,600 items and Clubcard prices, which are now available in all our Express stores.”
The retailer said it now has around 4,500 items included in its Clubcard offers – ‘significantly more than when the first basket was purchased’.
Full list of items compared – *was prices from Jan 14, 2020 and Feb 5, 2020 / now prices Jan 26, 2022
Products that have increased
- Heinz Spaghetti & Sausages In Tomato Sauce 400G was £1.25 / now £1.40
- Richmond 8 Skinless Pork Sausages 213G was £1.40 / now £2
- Heinz Baked Beans In Tomato Sauce 4 X415g was £2.50 / now £3
- Auntys Golden Syrup Puddings 2 X 95G was £1 / now £1.50
- Tesco British Skimmed Milk 2.272L, 4 Pints was £1.10 / now £1.15 (with Aldi price match)
- Tesco Conchiglie Pasta Shells 1Kg was £1 / now £1.30
- Tesco Angel Layer Cake was 62p/now £1.35
- Tesco Spirali Pasta 500G was 65p / now 70p
- Mr Kipling Angel Slice 8 Pack was £1.20 / now £2.85
- Highland Spring Sparkling Water 8X500ml was £2 / now £2.75
- Tesco Chocolate White Sticks (ice creams) 3X110ml was £1 / now £1.20
- Clover Light Spread 500G was £1 / now £2
- Tesco Pure Orange Juice Smooth 4 X 1 Liter was £3 / now £3.30
- Tesco Italian Chopped Tomatoes 4 X 400G was £1.39 / now £1.60 (Clubcard)
- Original Source Lemon & Tea Tree Shower Gel 250Ml was 90p / now £1
- Sure Men Active Antiperspirant Deodorant 250Ml was £1.40 / now £1.75
- Soreen Original Malt Loaf 260G was 60p / now £1.20
- Aero Chocolate Mousse 4 X59g was £1 / now £1.50
- Pot Noodle King Beef & Tomato 114G was 70p / now 99p
- Pitch Chocolate 6 Pack was 75p / now £1.50
- Tesco 6 Strawberry Fruity Bakes 222G was 95p / now £1.05
- Kp Hula Hoops Family 6X24g was £1 / now £1.75
- Tesco British Large Whole Chicken 1.55-1.95Kg was £3.50 / now £3.75
- Tesco Vanilla Cheesecake 540G was £2 / now £3.25
- Cadbury Twirl Chocolate Multipack 4 X34g was 90p / now 98p
- Bassetts Jelly Babies 190G was 90p / now £1 (Clubcard)
- Capri Sun No Added Sugar Orange 8 X 200Ml was £2 / now £2.95
- Imperial Leather Marshmallow Bath 500Ml was 90p / now £1
- Tesco Southern Fried Breaded Chicken Mini Fillets 305G was £2 /now £2.60
- Kellogg’s Rice Krispies Cereal 700G was £2.50 / now £3.50
- Richmond 8 Thick Pork Sausages 454G was £1.50 / now £2
- Tesco Brown Onions Loose x2 was 18p now 20p
Products that have stayed the same
- Tesco Finest 20 Mini Meatballs 336G was £2.85 / now £2.85
- Mixed Sized Free Range Eggs 15 Pack was £2 / now £2
- Tesco Red Seedless Grapes 500G was £2 / now £2
- Tesco Four Cheese & Garlic Flatbread 230G was £1.60 / now £1.60
- Breaded Chicken Goujons 270G was £1.25 / now £1.25 (with Aldi price match)
- Hearty Food Co Straight Cut Chips 1.5Kg was 90p / now 90p
- Stella Artois 6X330ml Bottles was £5 / now £5
Products that have decreased
- Hovis Soft White Thick Bread 800G was £1.10 / now 99p (with Aldi price match)
- Granulated Sugar 1Kg was 69p / now 65p (with Aldi price match)
- Tesco Malt Wheats Cereal 750G was £1.20 / now 83p
- Tesco Maris Piper Potatoes 2.5Kg was £2 / now £1.15 (with Aldi price match)
- Redmere Farms Carrots 1Kg was 59p / now 40p (with Aldi price match)
- Tesco Cool Tortilla Chips 200 G was 90p / now 76p
- Tesco Pre Pack Broccoli was 65p / now 49p (with Aldi price match)
- Nightingale Farms Peppers 375G was 95p / now 89p (with Aldi price match)
- Eastmans Wafer Thin Cooked Ham 400G was £1.70 / now £1.59 (with Aldi price match)
- 6 x Bananas loose was 84p / now 78p
- Tesco Wheat Biscuits Cereal 24 Pack was £1.60 / now £1.06 (with Aldi price match)
Total was £70.61 / now 83.26
Percentage increase 17.9%
George Holan is chief editor at Plainsmen Post and has articles published in many notable publications in the last decade.