Clyde 2 Airdrie 2: Dramatic finale sees Lanarkshire derby points split


A dramatic final 20 minutes saw four goals scored and the spoils split in a 2-2 League One Lanarkshire derby between Clyde and Airdrie.

Dylan Easton stepped up to put Airdrie ahead before Robert Jones grabbed a Clyde leveler against the run of play 11 minutes from time.

Jordan Allan replied at the other end but Billy Mortimer’s close-range goal two minutes from time denied Diamonds manager Ian Murray a sixth straight league win.

Airdrie dominated attacking chances and had a Callum Smith penalty claim waved away.

Murray’s side are second and seven points off leaders Cove Rangers while counterpart Danny Lennon’s side sit sixth.

More sports news from across Lanarkshire

Both sides were buoyed by new signings prior to kick-off. Attacker Lewis Jamieson had made his return to Clyde from St Mirren while Airdrie also agreed loan deals – full-back Brody Paterson and utility man Kyle MacDonald of Celtic and Dunfermline respectively.

It was the latter who produced the game’s first chance in three minutes with a shot stinging Bully Wee goalkeeper Neil Parry’s hands.

Murray’s men were relentless in their attacking play early on and Calum Gallagher was next to spurn a big chance on five minutes.

Airdrie had won five on the spin in League One prior to meeting their Lanarkshire rivals and looked keen to make it six.

Rhys McCabe was next to have a go but his 20th minute free-kick sailed onto the roof of Parry’s net – which was being peppered.

Adam Frizzell danced his way through the Clyde defense on 27 minutes before his shot was deflected out for a corner. Keith Watson’s header from the resulting corner left his boss head in hands as another chance was posted missing a minute later.

See also  Best camping stoves UK 2022 from Millets, Blacks Decathlon

If that didn’t leave Murray dejected, Callum Smith’s volley over the bar from all of five yards on 30 minutes certainly would have..

Ally Love and David Goodwillie’s efforts in 33 minutes reminded Clyde they were very much in it and Airdrie had not taken advantage of their dominance.

The home side were proving hard to break down and less than 10 minutes into the second half, their bar was rattled.

Frizzell’s brilliant curling effort came so close to going in but the Airdrie midfielder was unfortunate to see it ricochet wide on 52 minutes.

A sweeping move allowed Easton to net what looked like an Airdrie winner on 72 minutes from time but Tade had other ideas. He marched up the park to put a header on a plate for Jones, who clinically dispatched his effort from him.

Allan then converted a calm finish inside the box with seven minutes to spare but late drama was not done there. Adam Livingstone’s long-range drive cannoned off the post and into Mortimer’s path, who stole a late point in a tense finale.

Clyde XI: Parry, Docherty, Page, Eldson, Rumsby, Livingstone, Nicoll (82, Mortimer) Splaine, Love, Jamieson (57, Jones) Goodwillie (66, Tade).

Subs: Bradley-Hurst, Munro, Balatoni, Mortimer, Andrew.

Airdrie XI: Currie, MacDonald, Kerr, Fordyce (82, Paterson) McCabe, Gallagher, Easton, Smith, Watson, Frizzell, McGill.

Subs: Cantley, Agnew, Ritchie, Allan, Walker, McDonald.

All the latest sport news in Lanarkshire

Follow Lanarkshire Live Sport onTwitter via@LanLiveSport, like us onFacebookor find us onInstagramfor the latest sports news, pictures and video.

See also  Government blasted for 'shameful' false claim about helping Ukrainian NHS staff


Related Posts

George Holan

George Holan is chief editor at Plainsmen Post and has articles published in many notable publications in the last decade.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.