Clyde 1-3 Dumbarton: MacLean at the double as Sons dismantle Bully Wee

Stevie Farrell felt his side could’ve been 6-1 up at half-time, as the Sons swept aside Clyde to move up to seventh in the League One table.

Ross MacLean’s brace and Stuart Carswell’s outstanding finish left the in-form Bully Wee with a mountain to climb, meaning ex-Son Robert Jones’ strike proving nothing more than a consolation

And Farrell hailed his side for a dominant showing.

He said: “We were excellent. We’re playing well just now, our performances have been good.

“Our intensity in the first-half, particularly after playing midweek as well, was outstanding.

“Let’s not be kidded. It could’ve been 6-1 at half-time. It wasn’t just half chances that we’re creating, it’s clear chances.

“They couldn’t have complained if it was 6-1 at half-time. That’s how good we were.

“The second-half pleased me more though. Our game management was excellent.”

Farrell was forced into a change from the side that had been lost to Queen’s Park, as Josh Oyinsan missed out through injury. Eoghan Stokes also dropped to the bench, with Paul Paton and the fit-again Ross MacLean returning.

Right from kick off Dumbarton looked like a team with purpose, as both Conner Duthie and Paddy Boyle had efforts deflected wide for corners after opening up space in the box.

It would take just eight minutes for the Sons to take the lead however, as they continued to lay siege to their opponent’s goal.

Ross MacLean picked up position in the midfield and drove to the edge of the area, before unleashing a vicious low effort that flashed beyond Neil Parry and into the net.

Ten minutes later Dumbarton added a second, as Conner Duthie tee’d up Stuart Carswell in the area, and skipper swiveled away from a challenge before drilling an effort low beyond Parry and into the bottom corner.

Paddy Boyle then took advantage of a Conrad Balatoni error and burst in on goal, but was denied by a strong hand from Parry.

Parry wouldn’t deny the Sons a third for long however, as they felt they vocal away support into dreamland inside the first 20 minutes.

Gregg Wylde’s corner caused chaos in the Clyde penalty area before eventually reaching Ross MacLean six yards out – and he stabbed into the net.

Paddy Boyle was then inches away from adding a fourth, as he just couldn’t stretch to turn Stephen Bronsky’s header across goal into the empty net, before Clyde threatened for the first time as Kieran Wright managed to touch Lewis Jamieson’s fierce strike from range onto the bar.

Ex-Son Nick McAllister then collected the game’s first yellow for a cynical trip on Gregg Wylde as Dumbarton surged on another break forward, with the hosts then indebted to Parry for a superb save that denied Conner Duthie a fourth Dumbarton goal in the opening half hour .

And a minute later Danny Lennon’s men gave themselves hope.

Jamieson’s shot deflected to another former Dumbarton man, Robert Jones, and the striker found the net via the post with a good finish from inside the area.

Dumbarton almost responded immediately as a brilliant piece of play down the left between Ross MacLean and Carlo Pignatiello saw the Livingston loanee find Conner Duthie, who unselfishly set up Gregg Wylde – but the January addition lashed just wide of target with the goal at his mercy.

As the game moved into first-half injury time the Sons passed up another chance to put the game to bed.

Wylde’s inch-perfect cross was met by the onrushing Paul Paton, but he bulleted his header wide of the post with Parry rooted to the spot.

The second-half started with Sons again threatening. Paul Paton’s superb pass sent Conner Duthie in, and he lobbed Parry before Clyde’s Matthew Elsdon cleared the danger.

There were then no takers for an inviting Kalvin Orsi cross, before Parry’s miscued throw gifted the ball to MacLean – but his cute chip landed on the roof of the net.

As the game moved towards second-half injury time a bad day at the office was compounded for Clyde, as lively attacker Lewis Jamieson saw red for two bookings in a matter of seconds – both for dissent towards referee Steven Reid.

And in the final seconds a brave stop from Kieran Wright denied half-time substitute Gregory Tade the chance of a late consolation.

Related Posts

George Holan

George Holan is chief editor at Plainsmen Post and has articles published in many notable publications in the last decade.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *