Chris Pincher latest news: Boris Johnson ‘must reveal who knew what’ on Tory MP allegations

Russian state TV presenter says Boris Johnson is ‘chubby’

Boris Johnson must set out exactly “who knew what and when” about allegations against suspended MP Chris Pincher, Labor has said.

Tamworth MP Mr Pincher resigned as deputy chief whip on Thursday after he was accused of drunkenly groping two men at a private members’ club for Tories in London the night before.

He was suspended from the party on Friday.

The prime minister is coming under pressure to explain why he appointed Mr Pincher to the role despite him resigning over a similar allegation, which he denies, in 2017.

“We want to know who knew what and when and why those decisions were made the way they were,” Baroness Jenny Chapman told BBC Breakfast on Monday morning.

“I don’t think anybody in Westminster believes that Boris Johnson did not know about the allegations about Mr Pincher,” she added.

Elsehwhere, Mr Johnson and the chancellor, Rishi Sunak, have pledged what they are calling “the single biggest tax cut in a decade” up to £6bn to tackle the cost of living crisis.

1656921862

Labour: Tell us ‘who knew what and when’ on Pincher allegations

He was suspended from the party on Friday.

Matt Mathers4 July 2022 09:04

1656920750

Fifteen denies junior ministers being rolled out to defend PM

Will Quince has also denied reports that junior ministers are being sent onto the airwaves to defend the prime minister over the controversy, instead of reluctant Cabinet ministers.

He said: “I’m certainly not going to defend the former deputy chief whip.

“The allegations are incredibly serious and I’m appalled by them. But that isn’t the case today, because I was booked in four days ago, in fact five days ago I think it was, to talk about a very important childcare announcement.”

He said the allegations were “indefensible”.

Katy Clifton4 July 2022 08:45

1656918950

Asked whether the allegations against Chris Pincher were serious enough for the police to become involved if any incident is reported to them, Will Quince said: “I think that is a matter for the police.

“I think the key thing is that we create an environment where everybody feels that if they witness or if they are the victim of sexual assault or predatory behavior of this nature in line with these allegations, that they feel able to go to the police and the authorities because that’s exactly how investigations can follow and due process take its course.”

The junior minister also declined to say whether his party colleague should resign his seat if the allegations against him are proven.

He said: “That’s a matter for parliament and we have clear processes and procedures in place around recall.”

Katy Clifton4 July 2022 08:15

1656918050

‘You can’t act on rumour’

Junior Minister Will Quince has been quizzed on SkyNews about why the prime minister gave former deputy chief whip Chris Pincher a job in the first place.

The Tory MP insisted that Boris Johnson was not aware of any specific allegations against Mr Pincher and said he had spoken to No 10 to seek assurances on the matter.

“I have been given categorical assurance that the prime minister was not aware of any serious specific allegation with regards to the former deputy chief whip,” he said.

He continued: “I think these cases are hard because, like any professional organization, you can’t act on rumor or gossip. As you know, in Westminster there is a lot of rumor or gossip.

“It’s why it’s also so important that when people do witness something which is clearly appalling, well below the standard behavior we should rightly expect from members of parliament and those who work on the parliamentary estate that it’s reported, and we encourage everybody to come forward and whether it’s the police or the parliamentary authorities, so action can be taken like it was in this case.”

Katy Clifton4 July 2022 08:00

1656917148

Labour: Tory response to Brexit issues ‘irresponsible’

Baroness Jenny Chapman denied that Labor has plans to “unpick” Brexit.

Labor leader Sir Keir Starmer will later today vow not to take the UK back into the single market or restore freedom of movement as he sets out his plan to “make Brexit work”.

He will use a speech to say a government under his leadership would not join a customs union with the EU, in maintaining the hard Brexit deal brokered by Boris Johnson.

“I think that would be the last thing the country wants to see,” the Labor politician told BBC Breakfast. “We’ve had so much division since 2016. I think the last thing certainly Keir Starmer wants to do is to revisit any of that.

“But we do think that the Conservatives, because they have this way of dealing with problems, which is all about, if we need to create a fight to garner some political support within our party, we’ll do that.

“They’re taking that approach to issues like Northern Ireland and we think that’s irresponsible, and we want to see these issues resolved.”

Katy Clifton4 July 2022 07:45

1656916248

‘We want to know who knew what’

Labor has said that Boris Johnson still has questions to answer about the Chris Pincher controversy.

“We want to know who knew what and when and why those decisions were made the way they were,” Baroness Jenny Chapman, a shadow minister of state at Cabinet Office, told BBC Breakfast.

“I don’t think anybody in Westminster believes that Boris Johnson did not know about the allegations about Mr Pincher.”

Katy Clifton4 July 2022 07:30

1656915120

New ‘bill of rights’ exempts government from free speech protections

A new “bill of rights” exempts the government itself from having to comply with its new free speech protections, legal experts have warned.

Justice Secretary Dominic Raab said last week that the new charter would stop free speech from being “whittled away” by “wokery and political correctness”.

But clauses included in the bill specifically exempt laws created by ministers from its new free speech test, which means, it will not protect people from the “various threats to free speech posed by the government”.

Alisha Rahaman Sarkar4 July 2022 07:12

1656914222

Chris Pincher ‘seeking medical support’

Chris Pincher, the former deputy chief whip who resigned after he was accused of groping two men, has said he is seeking “professional medical support”.

In a statement, he said: “I respect the Prime Minister’s decision to suspend the whip whilst an inquiry is underway, and I will co-operate fully with it.

“As I told the prime minister, I drank far too much on Wednesday night, embarrassing myself and others, and I am truly sorry for the upset I caused.

“The stresses of the last few days, coming on top of those over the last several months, have made me accept that I will benefit from professional medical support.

“I am in the process of seeking that now, and I hope to be able to return to my constituency duties as soon as possible.”

Alisha Rahaman Sarkar4 July 2022 06:57

1656913725

Tory MP claims he was groped twice by Chris Pincher

A Conservative MP has claimed he was groped on two occasions by Chris Pincher, who was suspended from the party on Friday after sexual misconduct allegations.

Speaking exclusively to The Independent on the condition of anonymity, the man claims he was targeted twice by Mr Pincher, first in December 2021 and again last month.

One alleged assault took place within the parliamentary estate in June, when the man claims Mr Pincher deliberately touched his genitals through his clothing and refused to remove his hand when asked. “He put his hand on my crotch and moved it around,” the MP said.

“I shook my head and said no, I don’t want that, but he [Mr Pincher] just smiled… he carried on until I was able to move away.”

Alisha Rahaman Sarkar4 July 2022 06:48

1656911673

Parliament not safe for workers, MPs warn

Parliament is not a safe environment for staff, MPs have warned following growing controversy over Boris Johnson’s delay in suspending a senior politician facing groping allegations.

As “pestminster” allegations engulf Westminster for the third time in five years, shadow armed forces minister Luke Pollard warned that Parliament was “not a safe place to work” and that “higher standards” were needed in politics, in an interview with Sky News .

Meanwhile, a Conservative MP told The Independent he did not bring interns in to parliament and would let them work only in his constituency office. “Staffers and other people who work in the House of Commons should be able to expect a minimum standard of behaviour,” he said. “But they can’t.”

Alisha Rahaman Sarkar4 July 2022 06:14