Chinese takeaway ordered to close over ‘rodent infestation’ and poison found by food


The Aberfan Chinese, in Merthyr Tydfil, Wales, was hit with a zero hygiene rating and a £1,600 fine after an inspector found ‘evidence of a rodent’s nest’ and a ‘bag of poison’ in the food storage room

The Aberfan Chinese in Merthyr Tydfil was ordered to close after an inspector gave it a zero food hygiene rating last August
The Aberfan Chinese in Merthyr Tydfil was ordered to close after an inspector gave it a zero food hygiene rating last August

A Chinese takeaway was shut down and hit with a £1,600 fine after inspectors uncovered evidence of a “rodent’s nest” in the larder.

An environmental health officer visited the Aberfan Chinese, in Merthyr Tydfil, Wales last August and swiftly issued a zero hygiene rating due to the “unacceptable conditions”.

The owners were also taken to court for the breaches and ordered to pay £1,600, Wales Online reports.

Merthyr Tydfil Council, who oversaw the inspection, were alerted after a member of the public spotted rats scurrying around inside.

The council has now shared the shocking images from their visit, showing “evidence of a rodent infestation” and a “bag-full of poison” dashed on the floor of the storeroom.

An unannounced inspection on August 4, 2021 identified “immediate hygiene concerns within the business” and found that food had been exposed to contamination, as well as evidence of a rodent nest.

The takeaway owners were slapped with a £1,600 fine over the breaches
(

Image:

Middle Wales)

The statement explains: “The Aberfan Chinese takeaway in Merthyr Tydfil was found to be operating in poor hygiene conditions and ordered to close due to a rodent infestation.

“The council’s environmental health department received a complaint from a concerned member of the public who had spotted rats in the rear yard of the food business. An unannounced inspection carried out by an environmental health officer on August, 4 2021 identified immediate hygiene concerns within the business.”

The statement added: “The kitchen was dirty, food was being exposed to contamination and there was clear evidence of a rodent nest within the storeroom where food ingredients were being stored.

“The inspector found serious defects within the structure of the premises which allowed rodents to enter with ease and a bag of poison had been thrown on the floor hoping that this would deal with the problem. It was clear that this issue had been ongoing for a long period of time and the business owner failed to deal with the issue properly.

The inspector said there was evidence the rodent issue had been ongoing for a long time
(

Image:

Middle Wales)

The owners are being taken to court over the hygiene breaches
(

Image:

Middle Wales)

“Given the unacceptable conditions, the inspector served a legal notice to formally close the business until improvements were made and the business was issued a food hygiene rating of zero, which is the lowest score that can be given.”

Merthyr Tydfil council member Geraint Thomas added: “This case demonstrates that our Environmental Health Officers will take swift and necessary action to protect public health when there are clear failures within a food business that put customers at risk.

“It is essential that proprietors of food businesses comply with food hygiene regulations. The Covid pandemic should not be used as an excuse by food business operators to allow their hygiene standards to slip.

“I would urge all consumers to check the food hygiene rating of a food establishment before they consider eating from there. It is a legal requirement for ratings to be displayed in Wales to help consumers make informed choices.”

Owner of The Aberfan Chinese, Mrs Xiu Hui Xiao attended Merthyr Tydfil Magistrates Court on January 26, 2022, and pleaded guilty to nine charges of breaching food hygiene regulations, the court confirmed on Friday.

The council said that Mrs Xiao was fined a total of £1,600 and ordered to pay costs of £697.50 and a victim surcharge of £160.

It is not known whether environmental health has visited the establishment since its visit last August.

As of February, 11 2022, Aberfan Chinese has a zero food hygiene rating on the official food hygiene standards website.

For the three areas listed on the website, “hygienic food handling,” “cleanliness and condition of facilities and building,” and “management of food safety,” the inspector has remarked “major improvement necessary.”

Read More

Read More




www.mirror.co.uk

Related Posts

George Holan

George Holan is chief editor at Plainsmen Post and has articles published in many notable publications in the last decade.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *