Chaotic scenes have been reported at Manchester Airport this morning as the ongoing Easter travel disruption continues. Passengers attempting to get away for the bank holiday weekend have been met with snaking queues and heavy delays all week.
And this morning (April 13) was no different. Travelers reported ‘carnage’ at the airport’s Terminal 1 with more complaints that queues for check-in and security where starting outside of the building.
Others reported heavy delays at passport control as they attempted to enter the airport, and an hour-long wait to access any of the terminal’s restaurants.
READMORE:Manchester Airport passengers hit with more delays amid ’90-minute wait’
Holidaymakers have been advised to arrive three hours before their flight, as the mayor of Greater Manchester warned that queues and delays could continue for at least another two months.
Speaking at a press conference last week, Mr Burnham criticized airport bosses for reacting ‘too late’ on recruitment. The airport group are said to have interviewed over 4,000 people in the last two months – but say they are still being hit by crippling staff shortages.
Scores of passengers took to Twitter this morning amid the latest disruption, complaining of long delays. One person posted a picture of a long queue for security at Terminal 1 at 4am.
“Manchester Airport terminal 1 still rocking the biggest queues this side of Disney Land. Easy Jet check-in is now starting outside,” one person wrote on the social media site.
Another said: “Got here for 03.30 and queues are already outside the main building. Let’s see how long this takes.” Another passenger tagged Manchester Airport saying: “What on earth are you doing to try and sort this mess out?”
One family described Terminal 1 as ‘carnage’ and said they were lucky to through check-in quickly as they were traveling with a pram. They said it took them an hour to get through security.
Another man said: “Manchester Airport security was fine at 6am today but the queues for the restaurant’s are over an hour wait. No walking to the bar anymore. Absolutely embarrassing tbh (sic) #sortitout.”
Former airport boss, Karen Smart, who quit the role last week, previously warned passengers long queues would continue for weeks after admitting they’d been hit by staff shortages amid a surge in international travel.
Guidance issued by the airport to passengers is that they should arrived for when check-in opens – which is usually three hours before departure.
It is understood that most travelers are passing security within 30 to 40 minutes but airport bosses have warned that at times this time could rise to 60 to 90 minutes.
Chief Executive Charlie Cornish has apologized to passengers for the disruption, and warned it could continue until the summer months.
He said: “I cannot apologize enough for the disruption people have faced. The simple fact is that we don’t currently have the number of staff we need to provide the level of service that our passengers deserve.”
Mr Cornish added: “I also want to be clear that a huge amount of work is going into improving the situation in the short-term. Our focus for the next four weeks is on delivering a more predictable and reliable level of service for passengers. “