Callum Wilson injury: Newcastle take a hit as Eddie Howe provides an update



Newcastle’s Premier League survival hopes have been dealt a major blow after it emerged that striker Callum Wilson could be absent until the final games of the campaign.

The 29-year-old, who has scored six goals so far this season, was expected to be sidelined for around eight weeks with the calf injury he sustained during a 1-1 draw with Manchester United on 27 December. December.

However, head coach Eddie Howe admitted his £20m man could be gone for much longer.

Speaking at his pre-match press conference ahead of Tuesday night’s decider with Everton at St James’ Park, Howe said: “It’s been slow progress for him since the initial injury. He recently he used crutches; I think he’s taken them off now and walks normally, which is a big step.

“But you can see from the update I’m giving you, it’s pretty slow, so we all want Callum to come back as fast as possible, but when he does come back, he has to be fit and ready to do his best, so I’ll do it.” we are helping with that, obviously, day by day.

“But I don’t think it will be in the short term. Hopefully he can get to the last games of the season and really help us in the key moment”.

Wilson’s absence will deal a major blow to the relegation-threatened Magpies, who invested £25m of the £90m they spent in January on Burnley leader Chris Wood but failed in their attempts to raise further his firepower in his pursuit of Manchester United leader Jesse. Lingard and Hugo Ekitike of the Stade de Reims came to nothing.

See also  AP FACT CHECK: Wisconsin election probe ignores some facts

Outgoing Brighton manager Dan Ashworth has been linked with a similar role at Newcastle (Gareth Fuller/PA)

(PA cord)

Howe added: “He’s gone, he’s getting intense treatment. We are trying to give you the best care possible as a football club.

“It’s probably best that I update him later as far as the return date, but at the moment, that’s unclear.”

Newcastle’s rebuilding job saw Kieran Trippier, Wood, Bruno Guimaraes, Dan Burn and Matt Targett arrive on Tyneside last month and all five could be involved against the Toffees, although the former Brighton Burn defender is hampered by a problem on the toe.

However, that process is ongoing on and off the pitch and Brighton’s announcement on Monday that manager Dan Ashworth will take on “a similar role at another Premier League club” – has been strongly linked to a move to Tyneside. Since Amanda Staveley The consortium completed its acquisition in October last year, it turned out to be an interesting development.

The Magpies are currently 19th in the table but just a point above safety, although Everton’s 4-1 FA Cup fourth-round victory over Brentford on Saturday under new boss Frank Lampard served to underline the difficulty of the task ahead.

Howe said: “I totally respect Frank and I know him well and I think he is an exceptional coach.

“They have a strong management team and they have a strong team on the pitch, so we know that as always in every Premier League game, we will have to give our best to win.”


www.independent.co.uk

Related Posts

George Holan

George Holan is chief editor at Plainsmen Post and has articles published in many notable publications in the last decade.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.