Callander hotelier jailed after sex attacks on staff

The co-owner of two Callander hotels who preyed on female members of his staff has been jailed for 18 months.

Gary Adam, 35, a former British Army sergeant, “used a pattern of systematic abuse” to intimidate and sexually assault two young women.

As he was jailed, at Falkirk Sheriff Court this week, his own defense solicitor told the court it was “quite clear he needs to work on his attitude towards women”.

Sheriff Christopher Shead described Adam’s offenses as “serious”

The incidents occurred at the Waverley Hotel and the Crags Hotel, both co-owned by Adam, and opposite each other in the town’s Main Street.

The court heard the first woman had been working for Adam for only a week when he made a pass at her while she was in another local pub playing pool, forcing her to tell him when she saw him at work that she “didn’t want to lose her job – or have sex with him”.

The Waverley Hotel in Callander

Within hours, however, he asked her into the office at the Waverley Hotel on the “ruse” that she needed a new uniform T-shirt, pushed her against a wall, put his hand “quite tightly” round her neck, kissed her forcibly on the lips, and tried to put his hand down the front of her trousers.

“Growling or grunting” in her ear, he was said to have told her that he would “snap her like a twig”.

Later that night Adam, a first offender, of Cambusmore, sexually assaulted her again, “touching her bum” as she bent over to retrieve something.

The day after the incidents, which happened in 2019, she gave her notice.

The court heard Adam sexually assaulted the other woman repeatedly in 2020 while she was working at the Crags Hotel.

He followed her into a walk-in cupboard, pulled the door so it locked behind them, then pinned her “forcibly” against the wall with two hands on her shoulders and tried to kiss her.

One of the women involved was working at the Crags Hotel

She said she was “frozen” and “scared” and didn’t know what to do, but suddenly a customer called from the bar, and she was able to leave.

Later Adam, who had earlier been drinking with friends, returned alone and “a bit more drunk” and asked her for the key to one of the hotel bedrooms.

He then texted a demand that she deliver a Peroni beer to the bedroom, and after she left it outside he opened the door, grabbed her wrist, “dragged” her in, pushed her back onto the bed, held her arms above her head and tried to kiss her.

She said she “just kept saying no” and eventually he let her leave but refused to give her back her phone – which he had pushed away from her grasp on the bed.

When he returned it later, the text message asking her to take beer to his room had been deleted.

The court heard Adam later told the woman “it would never happen again”, but three weeks later after finishing her shift at the Crags she went over to the Waverley to see some friends and Adam approached her and asked her if she would give him a lift back to his home on the outskirts of Callander.

She thought it awkward if she refused, but on the short drive he immediately asked her if she would stay with him in one of the hotel rooms.

When she turned him down, he demanded she stop and before she had even had a chance to turn off the engine he climbed over, sat on top of her, forced her head back, forcibly kissed her, and put his hand inside her underwear.

“Scared and disgusted”, the woman managed to call a random number on her phone, and when Adam realized, he stopped and asked to be driven the rest of the way home.

After a three-day trial in February, the jury found father-of-one Adam, a first offender, of Cambusmore, Callander, guilty of five charges of sexually assaulting the women.

He had pleaded not guilty.

Defense advocate Wendy Hay said Adam, a soldier for 13 years before moving to work in the rail and then hotel industries, was “ashamed of his behaviour”.

She said: “It’s quite clear he needs to work on his attitude towards women.”

Imposing the jail term, Sheriff Shead said he was satisfied the threshold for custody had been passed.

Adam stood to attention in the dock as sentence was passed and he was led downstairs to the cells.

Depute prosecutor Cheryl Clark, who prosecuted, said Adam had perpetrated “a pattern of systematic abuse against the two young women, engineered situations to be alone with them, and used fear, intimidation, physical strength, and his powerful role as their employer to manipulate the situation”.

Related Posts

George Holan

George Holan is chief editor at Plainsmen Post and has articles published in many notable publications in the last decade.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *