Multiple people shot in Brooklyn subway station_1.mp4
A manhunt is still underway for the gunman who opened fire inside a Brooklyn subway train during Tuesday morning’s rush hour.
The chaos unfolded at 8:24am on an N train traveling to Manhattan when the suspect donned a gas mask and opened a gas canister inside the carriage, police said.
As the car filled with smoke, he opened fire shooting at least 10 people inside and on the station platform as the train pulled into 36 Street at Sunset Park.
In total, 28 people were hospitalized with injuries ranging from gunshot and shrapnel wounds to smoke inhalation. All are expected to survive.
A gun, magazines, gas canisters and fireworks were recovered from the scene, with the investigation so far suggesting the gun may have jammed during the shooting.
More than six hours on, the suspect – described as a Black male, 5’5” with a heavy build, and wearing a green construction vest and gray sweatshirt – remains at large.
Officials initially reported undetonated explosive devices were found at the scene and witnesses suggested there had been an explosion, but police later said there are no known explosive devices on the city’s subways.
White House will provide New York with ‘anything they need’ to help track down gunman
White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki said that President Joe Biden has not yet spoken with New York City Mayor Eric Adams over Tuesday’s subway attack but had promised to provide New York officials with “anything they need” to track down the gunman.
Ms Psaki told reporters on board Air Force One on Tuesday that federal agencies “would assist in every appropriate way” and provide “anything they want” in order to help the investigation.
“Anything they need, anything they want, we are here to provide that to them,” she added.
She added that the investigation into the shooting is a local matter and is being overseen by the NYPD’s counterterrorism unit together with the US Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms and Federal Bureau of Investigation.
However, she stressed that White House officials are in contact with both the mayor and the NYPD commissioner.
Rachel Sharp12 April 2022 19:47
Brooklyn Nets star Kevin Durant slams ‘senseless violence’
Brooklyn Nets star Kevin Durant has slammed the “senseless violence” of Tuesday’s “devastating” subway attack which left 16 people injured.
The basketball player told Reuters “you hope and pray for the best for everyone involved” as he headed to his team’s practice facility on Tuesday, located around two miles from the scene of the shooting.
“It’s devastating. I don’t know too many details,” he said.
“To hear the sirens out front of the facility, and see so much commotion outside. You hope and pray for the best for everyone involved.
“I hate violence. I hate senseless violence. Hopefully we can figure out the details and get everybody to safety and get everybody the help that they need. It’s a tough situation right now.”
The Nets are scheduled to play the Cleveland Cavaliers on Tuesday evening at their home stadium the Barclays Center in Brooklyn.
ESPN reported that the team was preparing for the game to go ahead but that the league is monitoring the situation, as the gunman is still at large.
Rachel Sharp12 April 2022 19:17
Uber will refund customers for surge prices after subway shooting
Uber has promised to refund customers who were charged surge pricing after the Brooklyn subway shooting.
The ride-sharing app’s communications manager Freddi Goldstein said in a statement on Twitter that the company would refund people who experienced “unintended charges” and said that prices had been capped citywide following the attack.
“Our hearts go out to the victims of this morning’s terrible shooting in Sunset Park,” she said.
“Uber has capped pricing citywide, and if anyone experienced unintended charges in the area during the emergency, we will work to refund them.”
The statement came after Uber came under fire on social media as riders faced a surge in pricing in the area due to “increased demand” as subway lines went down and fearful New Yorkers turned to other forms of transportation.
Rachel Sharp12 April 2022 19:08
Security to be tightened for Boston Marathon because of NYC attack, says former police chief
Security is now expected to be tightened for the upcoming Boston Marathon in light of the shooting on the New York City subway system, according to a former police chief.
Ed Davis, the former Boston Police commissioner, told CBSNewsBoston that officials will likely increase the number of officers around transport hubs ahead of the huge annual event on Monday.
The 2022 Boston Marathon comes nine years after three people were killed and around 260 injured in a bombing at the 2013 event.
“It certainly does change the security posture of everything that’s going on. From the moment something like this happens, police chiefs across the country put different systems in place and tactics that they use to do two things: one is to make sure that it doesn’t happen in their jurisdiction,” he said.
“They will be on the lookout for any suspicious behaviors, they’ll increase the number of officers who are in and around public transportation hubs, maybe even put people on some of the trains.”
Mr Davis said one of the big concerns is that there could be copycat attacks.
“There is a real reason for that in that there might be copycats or a larger conspiracy than just New York. It’s unlikely but it’s possible. But the larger issue here is to reassure the public that they are safe. That’s really the role of the police at this point in time: show a strong presence out there and make sure that people feel that they can use subways and other transportation safely,” he said.
“Having the marathon so close in time, we’ll definitely plan, it will change the number of people assigned to the event. I’m sure there are people pulling together emergency meetings right now as we speak in light of this terrible incident that’s happened in New York.”
Rachel Sharp12 April 2022 18:57
Gun found at subway station where shooting unfolded, say sources
A gun has been found at the 36 Street subway station where Tuesday’s shooting rampage unfolded, according to two law enforcement sources.
The officials told CNN a gun had been recovered from the scene. The type of gun was not revealed.
It is not clear if the firearm is the one used in the shooting or if the gunman is still armed as he remains on the run several hours on from the attack.
Rachel Sharp12 April 2022 18:43
Police searching subway tunnels for assailant
Police are searching tunnels of the New York City subway system for the assailant, according to NBC New York.
Some witnesses said that the gunman may have jumped onto the tracks to flee the scene after carrying out the attack.
Officials did not reveal if they had any clues as to the suspect’s whereabouts in the late morning press conference.
Rachel Sharp12 April 2022 18:33
Mayor Eric Adams vows to not let New Yorkers ‘be terrorized’
Mayor Eric Adams has vowed to not let New Yorkers “be terrorized” in their city as the gunman wanted for Tuesday’s attack remains on the loose.
The New York City mayor, who is isolating at home after testing positive for Covid-19 and so did not attend the press conference with other officials, shared a video message on his Twitter page addressing the day’s chaos.
“We will not allow New Yorkers to be terrorized, even by a single individual,” he said.
The former NYPD officer added that the police “will find him.”
Rachel Sharp12 April 2022 18:25
Governor Kathy Hochul says NYC is in grips of ‘active shooter situation’
Governor Kathy Hochul said that New York City is in the grips of an “active shooter situation” as the gunman remains on the run in the Big Apple.
“Tranquility and normalness was disrupted, brutally disrupted, by an individual so cold-hearted and depraved of heart that they had no caring about the individuals that they assaulted as they simply went about their daily lives,” she said at the late morning press conference .
“This individual is still on the loose. This person is dangerous.”
She vowed that New Yorkers are standing together to demand an end to violence in the city.
“He’s recovering well. He is monitoring, he’s actively engaged in the situation. I wanted to let him know that the people of the entire state of New York stand with the people of this city, this community, and we say no more,” she said.
“No more mass shootings. No more disrupting lives. No more creating heartbreak for people just trying to live their lives as normal New Yorkers. It has to end and ends now.
“This is an active shooter situation right now in the city of New York.”
Rachel Sharp12 April 2022 18:16
ICYMI: Police give press conference about Tuesday’s shooting
Watch a clip from the press conference where officials give a description of the suspect:
New York police confirmed Brooklyn shooter was wearing ‘green construction-type vest’
Rachel Sharp12 April 2022 17:51
NYPD appeals for videos and photos from public
Officials said “no matter how insignificant” their information may seem, it could help in tracking down the suspect.
Rachel Sharp12 April 2022 17:49