Adrian Chesters, 45, a British citizen, and his son Nathen Renze Chesters, a Dutch citizen, were among three divers to have gone missing off an island in Malaysia
Image: Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency HANDOUT/EPA-EFE/REX/Shutterstock)
A British dad and his young son, part of a group of scuba divers to have gone missing off an island in Malaysia, have been pictured.
Adrian Chesters, 45, a British citizen, and his son Nathen Renze Chesters, a Dutch citizen, are among three divers still missing after being abandoned by their boat captain.
The third is Alexia Alexandra Molina, 18, from France, while diving instructor Kristine Grodem, 35, from Norway, has been found alive today.
She was spotted in the water by a passing vessel over 20 nautical miles from the dive site.
Ms Groden was airlifted to hospital in a stable condition, having spent the night adrift in the sea, police have confirmed.
Have you been affected by this story? Let us know at [email protected]
Investigators said the captain had been arrested after a positive drug test, reports the Times.
The divers were doing underwater training close to the island on Wednesday when they surfaced and the transport boat had disappeared.
They then began getting dragged out to sea by strong currents.
A police spokesperson said: “The instructor tried to keep all of them together but they got separated.
MALAYSIAN MARITIME ENFORCEMENT A)
“We believe the three victims will be found safe as they are experienced divers.”
The Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency said the divers were reported missing around 2.35pm near Pulau Tokong Sanggol.
The site – in range of holiday resorts – is popular with divers.
Malaysia has seen an estimated 55,000 foreign visitors in just four days after opening its borders following the Covid pandemic.
First Admiral Nurul Hizam Zakaria, the agency’s director, said the captain had filed a report claiming he left the scene after the divers failed to surface at around noon.
He said: “The tekong (skipper) of a boat that ferried the four foreigners to the spot made a report about the divers not surfacing after holding a diving exercise at around noon.
“The missing four are two British men and two women, a French and a Norwegian, between the ages of 14 and 46.
“A forward operating base has been set up at the Mersing District Council public jetty.”
The search effort has involved dozens of divers and boats, covering over 100 nautical miles.
Local politician Menteri Besar Datuk Onn Hafiz Ghazi assured the families of those missing officials and searchers are doing “whatever we can to find them”.