The International Cricket Council has banned former Zimbabwe captain Brendan Taylor from participating in all forms of cricket for three and a half years.
The 35-year-old, who retired from international cricket in September, revealed on Monday that he was to be sanctioned by cricket’s world governing body.
He has admitted to violating five ICC changes overall, four Anti-Corruption Codes and a single Anti-Doping Code violation and will be barred from participation in the sport until June 28, 2025.
Alex Marshall, General Manager of the ICC Integrity Unit, said: “Brendan is a former international captain who represented Zimbabwe for 17 years.
“During such a long career, he participated in numerous anti-doping and anti-corruption education sessions and knew exactly what his obligations were under the ICC Anti-Doping and Anti-Corruption Codes.
“It is disappointing that a player of his experience chooses not to fulfill these obligations, however he has accepted all the charges, which has been reflected in the sanction.
“I would echo Brendan’s message to other players to report rapprochements as soon as they happen so that any corrupt activity can be stopped as quickly as possible. We wish Brendan the best in his rehabilitation.”
Taylor agreed to a one-month ban for a breach of Article 2.1, which occurred after he tested positive for the stimulant Benzoylcognin, a metabolite of cocaine, following Zimbabwe’s one-day international match with Ireland on 8 September.
It turned out to be one of the final matches of his career, with the wicketkeeper announcing he would no longer represent his country after the series, but it was earlier this month that he spoke about being blackmailed into point-fixing two years earlier. for the first time. hour.
Taylor, who lists Nottinghamshire as one of his former clubs, has alleged that a group of Indian businessmen tried to blackmail him in October 2019 after they took pictures of him taking cocaine.
While the right-handed hitter insisted he didn’t make a one-time fix, he also admitted not reporting the incident to the ICC for four months.
In a statement posted on Twitter on Monday, Taylor wrote: “I would like to place on record that I have never been involved in any form of match-fixing. I can be many things but I’m not a cheater.
“My love for the beautiful game of cricket far outweighs any threat that may be thrown my way.
“As a result of reaching out to the ICC, I attended multiple interviews and engagements and was as honest and transparent as I could during their investigations.
“Inside and out I was beating myself up and I still wish I had sought support and advice sooner for a multitude of reasons.
“That said, the ICC is making the decision to impose a multi-year ban on my international cricket career. I humbly accept this decision and only hope that my story is used as a means of encouraging cricketers to report any approaches early.”
In Taylor’s statement earlier this week, he revealed that he would check into a rehab facility on Tuesday to address his substance abuse issues.
George Holan is chief editor at Plainsmen Post and has articles published in many notable publications in the last decade.