Boy, 9, left ‘screaming in pain’ with horror burns after Bovril spill at match


A schoolboy suffered second degree burns after a scolding hot cup of Bovril was accidentally dropped on his foot at a football game.

Theo Baverstock was with his dad Graeme to cheer on Middlesborough FC against Fulham on Wednesday, April 6 when the drink was spilled on him by a fellow supporter.

The nine-year-old was rushed to A&E where he was bandaged up by doctors and is now recovering at home, Teesside Live reports.

Now, his dad Graeme wants to thank all those who helped during the incident, including fans, first aiders, club doctors and stewards who all rushed to help the youngster.

But he also hopes to make others aware that accidents such as this can happen and have questioned whether the temperature of the liquids served at the ground is worth looking at.

“We went to the Boro game and we were stood in the queue and a gentleman turned around with a cup of bovril. He dropped it by accident and it went straight onto Theo’s foot,” said Graeme. “Straight away he started screaming so it’s gone through his shoe and his sock from him.

“First aid got involved as did the club doctor and he got taken straight to hospital where they found he had second degree burns. I felt really sorry for the gentleman who dropped it, he didn’t mean to do it and it was a total accident



The burns to Theo Baverstock’s foot.

“Theo is quite shook up, he’s just had it rebandaged. He’s had to go every two days to the hospital for checks on it.

“He’s got a bit of an infection in it and he has to go onto antibiotics. It looks quite bad at the moment.

“I just wanted to say that it could happen to anyone. It’s not against them but if it is being served so hot it can so easily be dropped on anyone’s foot like it has done.

Graphic pictures show the extent of the painful burns to Theo’s foot, with the liquid having soaked through his trainers and sock before scalding him.

He’s now recovering at home although as a bit of a “live wire” he is struggling to sit still and rest.

“He’s getting there. He’s quite a livewire so he’s not use to lay up. With the school holidays now he can’t go swimming or playing football – he missed his last game of the season today,” said the 39-year-old dad. “It has upset him a little but in himself he’s happy, he’s chirpy he’s still fine.



Graeme Baverstock and son Theo who was injured by hot Bovril at the football match.
Graeme Baverstock and son Theo who was injured by hot Bovril at the football match.

“It’s just harder to get him to realize how bad it could get if he doesn’t look after it and rest. It was an absolute total accident, no one is to blame for it.”

Praising the “amazing” staff, Graeme says the first aiders were on the scene in minutes and police allowed him to pull his car right up to the ground so he could take Theo to hospital.

He added: “I’ve got nothing but praise for the staff, the club have been great and they’ve contacted me as well to see how he is. They didn’t have to do that.

“It’s one of those unfortunate things but I do think to myself, it’s that hot it’s gone through his shoe, sock and he’s still getting second degree burns from a drink that served within a crowd. When you’re in the queue you’re touching shoulders, it could have landed on his chest – it could have been so much worse.

“It’s more why it is being served so hot. I’m not wanting to blame anyone but I don’t see how it can be so hot. Someone could knock it over anyone and it’s going to affect them like it did Theo.

“I want to thank everyone with how much they’ve helped but I wanted to get the awareness out that this can happen to people. Is it too hot? Is it worth looking at? It could have been an even smaller child stood there and it wouldn’t have been their foot it landed on.”

Middlesbrough FC have been contacted but chose not to comment.

Don’t miss the latest news from around Scotland and beyond – Sign up to our daily newsletter here.




www.dailyrecord.co.uk

Related Posts

George Holan

George Holan is chief editor at Plainsmen Post and has articles published in many notable publications in the last decade.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *