Biggar head for vital Gala clash as they bid for National League 1 title

Biggar head into a vital clash at home to Tennent’s National League 1 leaders Gala on Saturday, which could go some way towards determining the title.

The top three have traded places regularly over recent weeks, with Gala winning their game in hand to top the pile on 79 points, with Heriot’s on 77 and Biggar on 75, as they go into the final three fixtures.

Biggar maintained their promotion hopes with a bonus point win at Boroughmuir, a feat that was achieved early in the second half, only for their Edinburgh hosts to roar back at them to provide a nervous finish before eventually falling to the 38-14 defeat.

That has consigned Boroughmuir to relegation from National League 1, while Biggar tussled it out at the top.

With Gala and Heriot’s also recording bonus point wins, however, the win was a vital one.

Biggar opened the scoring in 12 minutes. Robbie Orr’s run forced Boroughmuir to concede a penalty, which Euan Bogle dispatched to touch, close to the line.

A well taken ball by Josh King and a lineout drive saw Andrew Orr dot down, with Bogle converting for a 7-0 lead.

Boroughmuir were fortunate to keep 15 on the pitch following a high tackle by Rory Drummond in 20 minutes, but Biggar opted for a scrum, a Ross Jackson pick-up at No.8 and a pop pass to Ewan McAra gave the scrum half an easy pass to Robbie Orr, who crashed over under the posts. Bogle’s conversion attempt was pulled wide, but they led 12-0.

Boroughmuir showed some promise at this point and only stout defense from Biggar kept them out.

See also  Mum-of-six given life-changing diagnosis months after welcoming baby girl

Robbie Orr is halted as he makes his way for the Boroughmuir line

More sports news from across Lanarkshire

However, when Robbie Orr broke upfield and found Rowan Stewart, he continued the move into the Muir half, where the hosts conceded another penalty.

A textbook lineout take and drive by Andrew Orr gave him a simple task to score his second try of the game, with Bogle converting for a 19-0 half-time lead.

Biggar bagged the four-try bonus point five minutes into the second half when Robbie Orr tore holes in the Boroughmuir defense to create space for McAra to sprint over the line.

Bogle again pulled the conversion attempt wide, but Biggar led 24-0.

Boroughmuir came back into the game, with Gavin Welsh scoring a converted try.

An injury to the hosts’ hooker led to uncontested scrums, which changed the game quite a bit, and they scored a second converted try through Hamish Stevens, reducing the gap to 24-14.

However, Biggar bagged two further tries in the last 10 minutes to make sure of the win.

King scored the first of these, with Bogle converting, and tagged the extras on a try by Andrew Jardine, just after a Boroughmuir prop was yellow carded with a minute remaining.

This was something of a ‘freak’ score, with a Boroughmuir pass missing its intended target and thumping off the protective post padding before rebounding to the feet of Jardine, who just had to pick it up and ground the ball. Bogle converted for the final 38-14 score.

Follow Lanarkshire Live Sport onTwitter via@LanLiveSport, like us onFacebookor find us onInstagramfor the latest sports news, pictures and video.

Related Posts

George Holan

George Holan is chief editor at Plainsmen Post and has articles published in many notable publications in the last decade.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.