Australian Open 2022 LIVE: Nick Kyrgios and Thanasi Kokkinakis vs Matthew Ebden and Max Purcell latest updates

[ad_1]

(False images)

Nick Kyrgios and Thanasi Kokkinakis battle Matthew Ebden and Max Purcell in the Australian Open 2022 Men’s Doubles Final.

The enigmatic Aussie has found new life in the doubles format this year, having battled hard but ultimately outclassed men’s singles finalist Daniil Medvedev in four sets in the second round.

The pair have brought a new attitude to the game, prioritizing entertainment and fun in every match, with Kokkinakis saying after his semi-final win over third-seeded pair Marcel Granollers and Horacio Zeballos: “It sounds stupid, but winning has been our second priority. every time,” Kokkinakis told reporters. “We hope to have fun, have fun, enjoy our time on the court. Hopefully they (the crowd) feel like they’ve paid good money to see us.”

While Kyrgios, a controversial figure in the game, is eager to bring new fans to tennis: “If you watch a match and you have Thanasi and me playing in an entertaining doubles match, you don’t know anything about tennis, if you watch that match . at that time, they would probably tune in next time. That’s what it’s about. That is what I want to bring. I think that’s how the sport is going to survive.”

Follow all the live action from the men’s doubles final below:

1643455003

Rivals send congratulations to the victorious Barty

Ash Barty is undoubtedly the best player in women’s tennis right now, and will no doubt go into all three Grand Slams later this year as the heavy favorite to win, barring injury or an unexpected loss of form.

Other players on the women’s circuit must be intimidated by the strength of Barty’s performances in Melbourne, but the 25-year-old’s personality makes her a popular figure on the circuit and many of her rivals have been quick to congratulate her.

Our Jabeur tweeted: “Congratulations @ashbarty very happy for you champion! This one is very special and you really deserve it”, while Victoria Azarenka wrote: “There is simply no better tennis player right now than @ashbarty The most complete and focused! The way he is able to put pieces together and add a little more to his game is absolutely admirable! What an example! Congratulations champion to you and to all your team”.

Daniel Austin29 January 2022 11:16

1643454486

Barty joins exclusive Grand Slam all-rounder roster

By beating Danielle Collins in Melbourne this morning, Ash Barty won her first Grand Slam played on a hard court.

That means the 25-year-old has now won majors on clay, grass and hard surfaces, putting her in an exclusive club of current players who have achieved the same success.

The only other active tennis players to have won a Grand Slam on all three surfaces are Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Novak Djokovic and Serena Williams.

Daniel Austin29 January 2022 11:08

1643454093

Barty revels in home win in front of a raucous crowd

Ash Barty has been celebrating his victory in front of a delighted crowd at Rod Laver Arena, where fans watched an Australian win his Grand Slam on home ground for the first time since Chris O’Neil in 1978.

Now only victory at the US Open remains for the 25-year-old, who won Wimbledon in 2021 and the French Open at Roland Garros in 2019.

“It’s just a dream come true for me. I’m very proud to be Australian, so thank you all so much. See you next time!”

Daniel Austin29 January 2022 11:01

1643453743

Barty’s service game speeds up the key

Arguably the most crucial component in Barty’s victory was his ability to move briskly through his own service games before putting the pressure back on Collins.

The 25-year-old may have been broken twice, but she won 57 per cent of her service games at love or fifteen, meaning she was able to seize all of Collins’ opportunities quickly and was able to spend more time focusing on the game. attack instead of defense. .

Daniel Austin29 January 2022 10:55

1643453168

Australian Open 2022: Barty Winner’s Speech

“To my team, wow! I have said many times that I am very lucky to have so many people here who love and support me.

“Mom, dad and my sisters, I am an incredibly lucky girl and lucky to have so much love in my corner.

“No one has changed in our team, we are the best in the business and I can’t thank you for all the time you put into me.

“As an Australian, the most important part of this is being able to share it and you guys have been nothing short of exceptional. This crowd is one of the funniest I have ever played with – you relaxed me and forced me to play my best tennis! Against a champion like Danielle I had to bring that today.”

“This is a dream come true for me and I am so proud to be Australian so thank you all so much, see you next time!”

tom kershaw29 January 2022 10:46

1643453145

Australian Open 2022: Barty Winner’s Speech

“Thank you all very much, I have to congratulate Danielle, it has been an incredible fifteen days for you, I know you will fight for many more of these in the future.

“I’m a bit stumped, I’d love to thank everyone who does so much work behind the scenes – it takes a big town to put on an event like this, this tournament has been one of my favorite experiences so thank you very much. a lot for that

“To all the referees, ball boys, everyone who makes it so easy for the players to do what we do. You guys do it flawlessly and without you we would be lost!”

tom kershaw29 January 2022 10:45

1643452662

Australian Open 2022: Collins runner-up speech

“I have so many people to thank, everyone who came out to support me these past two weeks, we all met by chance and are now friends for life! means the world to me.

“Marty, I don’t want to drown too much, but I wouldn’t be here without your support, thanks for believing in me!

“Thank you Joe, my amazing boyfriend, for taking time off from work and helping me normalize my life a bit. I can’t wait for more adventures and good times to come.”

tom kershaw29 January 2022 10:37

1643452511

Australian Open 2022: Collins runner-up speech

Collins thanks everyone for their support and gets a great reception from the public. “I really admire you as a player,” he tells Barty.

tom kershaw29 January 2022 10:35

1643452066

Australian Open 2022: Award Ceremony

The stage is set for the performance, where Barty idol Evonne Goolagong Cawley will take part in the awards ceremony.

tom kershaw29 January 2022 10:27

1643451387

tom kershaw29 January 2022 10:16

[ad_2]
www.independent.co.uk

See also  Phillip Schofield cosies up to Tom Cruise for selfie after coming under fire from ITV viewers