Angry mum blasts Premier Inn after being scalded with boiling water from broken kettle


Emma Clark was left in agony when her thigh was scorched thanks to the faulty kettle but when she tried to sooth the wound with cold water, the shower wouldn’t work at the Premier Inn branch in Crewe

Emma Clark
Emma Clark was scalded and she blamed the poor condition of the kettle

An angry mum has blasted Premier Inn for a catalogue of errors after she couldn’t treat the burn inflicted from a faulty kettle because the water wasn’t running in her room.

Emma Clark was left scalded following her an overnight stay at the Crewe Central branch of the budget chain hotel.

During her ill-fated visit on December 15, she was unable to treat her scorched thigh as the shower ‘wouldn’t work properly’.

Springing out of bed ahead of attending an important meeting the following morning, Emma filled the kettle provided in the room with water and switched it on so she could enjoy a coffee.

But when the woman, who was only wearing the vest she slept in, went to pour the water into her cup the lid flopped open and boiling liquid spilled down her bare right thigh.

The problems started when she tried to make a cup of coffee
(

Image:

Kennedy News and Media)

She was left with a nasty burn – but the issues were only just getting started
(

Image:

Kennedy News and Media)

The horrified mum-of-one rang down to reception for help while sprinting to the bathroom and putting a towel soaked in cool water on her scorched skin.

Two staff members arrived to help and ushered the 28-year-old into the shower to cool the area but were left scratching their heads as she claims they ‘couldn’t get the shower to work properly’ as the water pressure was so low.

The trio were forced to resort to using water-soaked towels before using clingfilm to wrap up the six-inch long patch of burn.

The curriculum quality lead said it was “extremely lucky” that her four-year-old daughter wasn’t with her as if it had gone on her it would have been “an absolute nightmare”.

Premier Inn apologised to Emma and said they had “escalated” the issue so that it could be investigated by their senior guest team to establish how the incident happened.

Emma, from Portsmouth, Hampshire, said: “I’m angry that this happened to me. I really wanted to go and have some rest and this happened.

Emma was angry with the two major issues that wrecked her stay
(

Image:

Kennedy News and Media)

She was unable to treat her scorched thigh as the shower ‘wouldn’t work properly’
(

Image:

Kennedy News and Media)

“I’d boiled half a kettle and as I poured it the lid opened and it ended up down my right thigh.

“I felt it straight away just this instant burning on my thigh and down my leg.

“I started out crying but I was ok once the shock had settled down.

“If it had gone on my four-year-old it would have gone all over her, it would have been an absolute nightmare. It was extremely lucky that she wasn’t with me.

“If there were any young people in that room that would have been a whole other story.

“It’s Premier Inn, it’s not like it’s the cheapest place to stay, they can invest in some kettles that aren’t of poor quality.”

The drama unfolded when Emma decided to make herself a morning brew when her alarm clock went off after spending the night in her £71 double room.

Premier Inn apologized to Emma for what happened

After discovering the kettle already had water in it, she tipped it out and re-filled it.

Emma said: “I woke up at about 7.30am and the first thing I did was boil the kettle, I hadn’t even got dressed, I was trying to make a coffee.

“When I saw water in the kettle I thought ‘eugh’ so I poured that out and then filled myself a new kettle.

“I only had a vest on at that point because I’d just woken up and when I’ve gone to pour the kettle in the cup the whole lid flapped open.

“It should catch, but obviously didn’t, and the whole lot emptied out onto my thigh. When you’re on your own you think ‘what do I do now?’.

“I checked the kettle and on one side the clip was broken so it wouldn’t stay shut. The first thing I did was ring down to reception to see if they had anything for burns, they didn’t.

“I ran a towel under the cold water tap and put that on my leg.

The Mirror’s newsletter brings you the latest news, exciting showbiz and TV stories, sport updates and essential political information.

The newsletter is emailed out first thing every morning, at 12noon and every evening.

Never miss a moment by signing up to our newsletter here.

“They rushed up to my room and advised that I get in the shower and run the shower over my leg.

“It was really embarrassing because I was naked, well I had a vest on and that was it, so I got in the shower but they couldn’t get the shower to work.

“The tap would turn and some water would come out but the pressure was really low so there wasn’t enough water to cool the burn down.

“One of them asked if I wanted to sit in a cold bath or on some towels, in the end I sat on the toilet with a cold towel on my leg.”

A Premier Inn spokeswoman said: “This issue has already been escalated and is being handled by our senior guest team who will liaise with the guest directly as we fully investigate what has caused this unfortunate incident.

“We are sorry to hear of Emma’s injury and send her our best wishes for a speedy recovery.

“As soon as our team were aware of the issue the site team called 111 on the guest’s behalf and assisted her with a cold compress as well as providing breakfast in her room.”

Read More

Read More




www.mirror.co.uk

See also  'Hora 25' enters the Ocaña II prison to speak with two prisoners with mental health problems | Hour 25 | Present

Related Posts

George Holan

George Holan is chief editor at Plainsmen Post and has articles published in many notable publications in the last decade.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.