At least 23 people have been injured in a shooting in a subway station in the US city of New York, according to data provided by the authorities. Among the wounded there ten people with gunshot woundsof which five are in critical condition.
In addition to gunshot wounds, another 13 people have been injured by smoke inhalation and panic during the shooting, according to the latest official figures provided by the New York Police Department.
According to information provided to the American chain CNN by several local hospitals, at least 29 people would have been hospitalized in connection with the shooting.
The New York Police have detailed that the author of the attack threw two smoke bombs in the second car of the N line train when he was between the stops of 59th and 33rd streets, in southwest Brooklyn, after what he did at least 33 shots with a Glock 9mm weapon.
The incident has occurred during the morning commute in the Sunset Park neighborhood of Brooklyn. Some witnesses have stated that there is smoke inside the subwaybut the New York Police have reported that, at this time, no active explosive devicesalthough a 9mm Glock 17 weapon with three chargers, two other unexploded smoke bombs and gasoline, among other objects, have been recovered at the crime scene.
The city’s Police Commissioner, Keechant Seweell, has announced that the shooting is not being investigated as an “act of terrorism” and has indicated that the motive for the attack on the Brooklyn subway is unknown, although he does not rule anything out.
The images distributed on social networks show several people injured and covered in blood being served on the platform. have also been published photographs of a smoke filled subway car.
The shooting takes place in the middle of a increase in shootings in New York in the last two years and a increased violence in the city subway. So far this year there have been more than 600 reports of crimes in the subway of New York, which represents an increase of 68% in the last year, according to data from the City Police.
A 62-year-old man identified as a “person of interest”
The New York Police have identified as a “person of interest” Frank James, a 62-year-old man who the authorities are searching “with all the resources” available, although it has not yet been established whether he is the perpetrator.
As explained in a press conference by the head of the New York Police detective unit, James Essig, the authorities found at the crime scene a key to a rental van from the U-Haul company, which in turn once led to location of the vehicle on a main road in Brooklynwhich has been cordoned off and is being investigated.
James has been identified as the person who rented the van, and police are trying to “Locate him to determine his connection to the subway shootingif there is any,” said the police chief. “The two crime scenes, the subway and the van, are still very active and are still being processed,” added Essig.
The forces of order have requested the citizen’s collaboration to find Frank James, and They have offered a total of 50,000 dollars of reward for any information that may lead to their location.
“The NYPD is using all of our resources on this case, along with our partners at the FBI and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF),” Essig said.
In addition, the New York Police Department has released through its official Twitter account Twitter a picture of the suspect.
— NYPD NEWS (@NYPDnews) April 12, 2022
According to the police, shortly after what happened, the alleged perpetrator of the shooting fled the scene with a green vest similar to that used by construction workers and a gas mask.
“The tranquility and normality were interrupted, brutally interrupted, by an individual so ruthless and depraved that he did not care for people who were simply going about their daily lives. This individual is still on the loose. This person is dangerous,” said the governor of the State, Kathy Hochul.
The authorities have asked citizens to avoid the area, where deployed numerous ambulances and police units.
Police recover a pistol and chargers
According to police, the weapon, a Glock pistol, was apparently jammeda problem that could prevent the attacker from causing even more damage, according to police sources reported to the newspaper New York Post.
The authorities have assured that he is inspecting “all stations and trains” for the shooting, while searching for the person responsible. For his part, the deputy director in charge of the local FBI office in the city has reported that the agency is working with the New York Police in the investigation.
The White House spokeswoman, Jen Psaki, has reported that the Joe Biden Administration “will help through the appropriate channels” and has ensured that the White House’s high-level staff is in contact with the mayor of New York, Eric Adams, and the city’s police commissioner. However, the president has not yet spoken directly with the mayor.
The Traffic Division of the Police has denied that there were paralyzed trains in tunnels and has indicated that it is making inspections as part of the investigation into the “incident”.
In addition, the New York subway authority, the MTA, has indicated that the service of three metro lines has been suspended (D, N and R) in Brooklyn and in some points in Manhattan, so those three lines and others are experiencing delays.