A mum is warning other parents after her two-year-old son choked on a lollipop – as he was sat on her lap

[ad_1]

A mum-of-two has warned others after her son choked on a lollipop as he was sat on her lap. Amy Mantle, 33, said that her two-year-old son Baker found himself struggling to breathe because of the sweetness of her, despite her keeping her eyes on him the whole time.

Baker was with Amy during a hair appointment on April 28 and he was given the sweet while he waited for his mother to get her hair done. Amy became concerned when she saw that the sweet had come off the end of the lolly stick.

It was only when she saw that Baker couldn’t breathe that she realized what had happened and, when she couldn’t remove the sweet from her son’s throat, she began to panic. Luckily, her hairdresser, Gemma Fairhurst, came to the rescue by holding Baker upside down and repeatedly hitting her back to dislodge the lollipop.

READ MORE: Young cyclist dies after being hit by car in Manchester horror crash

It took around 30 seconds for the sweet to move out of Baker’s airway and now Amy is speaking out about the experience to warn other parents and advocate for first aid training for mums. Amy, from Blackpool, said: “Normally I’m so paranoid about things and I never give my children lollies, grapes or Maltesers, but I thought because ‘he’s sat on my knee and he’s really behaving, one won’t hurt.’

“It made me realize that a one-off could be fatal and awareness is needed for the dangers of these lollies. It was just horrific and I was shaking all day – I’ll never forgive myself for putting him or myself through that.”

See also  Couple sparks debate for refusing to trade seats on plane with child who's 'scared' of flying


Amy Mantle's son Baker.
Amy Mantle’s son Baker.

Amy, who works as a public speaker, was getting her hair done at You Hair and Beauty Lounge in Thornton-Cleveleys and had bought her son Baker along with her. He was sat on her lap of her as she was getting her locks trimmed when he was offered a lollipop. Thinking that it would be okay as she could see him in front of her in the mirror, Ella Amy let him enjoy the sweet.

He swiftly got the lollipop off the stick and held it up to show her, when he suddenly coughed. His shoulders began to bob up and down and when Amy asked if he was okay, he did n’t answer – when he continued to shake she realized something was seriously wrong.

Luckily, her quick-thinking hairdresser pulled Baker off her lap and held him upside down before hitting his back and after 30 seconds, the sweet came loose. Amy said: “Baker can be quite hyperactive, but he was sat on my knee and really behaving himself.

“I thought one lolly wouldn’t hurt – he licked it a couple of times and within sixty seconds he held up the stick and showed me the sweet had come off the end. “It was in his mouth and it sounded like he crunched it, so I just told him to be careful – then he did a little cough like he was trying to clear his throat.

“He made eye contact with me in the mirror and his shoulders started bobbing up and down but he’s a bit of a clown and likes to make people laugh so I asked if he was okay again. “His shoulders from him started moving faster and that was when my hairdresser shouted ‘he’s not alright’ and I realized he was n’t breathing.

See also  Military coup in Burkina Faso: how the world reacted | military news


Amy Mantle with Baker and her daughter Blessie.
Amy Mantle with Baker and her daughter Blessie.

“The sweet from the lolly was stuck in his throat – I leaned him forwards and hit him on the back as hard as I could but it was like it was all in slow motion. “My hairdresser swung the chair around and tipped him upside down, she was hitting him in the back for probably thirty seconds and another lady ran over to help.

“As I was about to pick up my phone to call 999 he started crying and the lolly came out of his mouth. He burst out crying and I scooped him up and went and sat on the other side of the salon – I held him for about twenty minutes.

“I’ve never experienced anything like that fear in my life – if my hairdresser wasn’t there Baker wouldn’t be here today. I will never say one off won’t hurt, it made me realize the fact I don’t actually have first aid training and a lot of mums don’t.

“My advice to other parents is never give children lollies, I think they should be banned and a lot of people feel the same. Just always trust your gut – one off really can be fatal and it’s just not worth the risk.”

Sign up to the MEN email newsletters to get the latest on sport, news, what’s on and more by following this link



[ad_2]
www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk

Related Posts

George Holan

George Holan is chief editor at Plainsmen Post and has articles published in many notable publications in the last decade.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.