Urgent ‘toxin’ warning issued to avoid some UK beaches as over 150 dogs fall ill


In a Facebook post shared to the public, the Best Days Out in Yorkshire and Yorkshire Coast Pet Care pages both expressed concerns over the recent incidents, with over 150 dogs reportedly being made unwell following their time on the beach

countless dog owners have come forth to share the stories of their pets being taken ill after contact with the beach
Countless dog owners have come forth to share the stories of their pets being taken ill after contact with the beach

An urgent warning has been issued to pet owners in the Scarborough area after 150 dogs fell ill following walks on the beach.

In a Facebook post shared to the public, the Best Days Out in Yorkshire and Yorkshire Coast Pet Care pages both expressed concerns over the recent incidents, with over 150 dogs reportedly being made unwell following their time on the beach.

Brogan Proud a veterinary nurse who runs the Yorkshire Coast Pet Care, said: “I work within several practices up and down the North East coast and we have recently been inundated with dogs coming off the beaches with vomiting and diarrhoea,

“Unfortunately there doesn’t seem to be any correlation other than contact with the beach so maybe ensure they don’t eat anything on the beach and wash them off if they’ve been to the beach in case it is a toxin or similar.

“Personally until the local authorities have got to the bottom of it I would not recommend taking your pets on the beach for the foreseeable future.

“I have been in touch with governing bodies and they are currently looking into it.

Some 150 dogs are believed to have fallen ill with similar symptoms following walks on the beach
(

Image:

Getty Images/iStockphoto)

“If your dog is showing symptoms please make the local authorities aware as well as seeking veterinary attention should your pet need it.”

She also followed up with further information for concerned pet owners, and revealed that dogs and birds could spread the illness in their faeces, reports Yorkshire Live.

“So I wouldn’t be surprised to see pets catching this just being near the beach ie the lines or cliffs etc, it’s hard to avoid all these places its more about being careful and vigilant with your pets,” she said.

“It’s currently unknown what it is and what is causing it – if it comes from the dogs eating stuff on the beaches or going into the water.”

In response to the warning, countless dog owners have come forth to share the stories of their pets being taken ill after contact with the beach.

One user, Shelly Anderson said: “My six-month-old Lab has had horrendous diarrhoea for the past four days , thankfully he’s now almost back to his usual self.“

In a Facebook post shared to the public, the Best Days Out in Yorkshire and Yorkshire Coast Pet Care pages both expressed concerns over the recent incidents
(

Image:

AFP via Getty Images)

“I was going to contact the vets today if there was no improvement. We have walked on both the beach at Robin Hoods Bay and the railway line at Bay / Thorpe .”

Anne Lavery also shared a similar comment: “My dog fell ill last weekend after being walked down the gare at Redcar ..five day’s he was ill whilst in the vets there was also another dog who had been walked down there and was ill”

Norma Dunham also shared her experience “For days after visiting Robin Hood’s Bay and the perimeter of Whitby Abbey on New Year’s day, our dog vomited for days and just slept.”

“The tide was in so we didn’t go onto the beach – lucky I guess. There was a lot of widely spread dog poo (lovely !) on the pavements leading up to the car park at RHB though.”

Read More

Read More




www.mirror.co.uk

Related Posts

George Holan

George Holan is chief editor at Plainsmen Post and has articles published in many notable publications in the last decade.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *