Known sex predator Christian Brueckner was just “30 minutes” from Praia De Luz on the night Madeleine McCann disappeared but now investigators may have to dismiss him as a suspect, it has been reported
The prime suspect in the disappearance of Madeleine McCann may have to be dismissed after British investigators suggested his alibi “stacks up”, it has been reported.
Ongoing investigations led by an ex detective found that known sex predator, Christian Brueckner, 44, was just 30 minutes from the Portuguese resort where the three year old was staying when she vanished in 2007.
Madeleine was just three years old when she vanished while holidaying with her family in Portugal
The probe led by former Surrey Police detective, Mark Williams-Thomas, had been investigating B who is currently in jail in Germany, where authorities believe he killed Madeleine.
ITALIAN CARABINIERI PRESS OFFICE)
Phone records were said to show him near the scene in Praia De Luz the night she disappeared.
But the latest developments suggest his alibi ‘stacks up’.
Their case against him, which is being covered on TV in the series Madeleine McCann: Investigating the Prime Suspect is set to crumble after two witnesses in Portugal and Germany have thrown his guilt into doubt, it has been reported.
Our source told The Sun : “They have concluded Brueckner could not have snatched Madeleine. He was 30 minutes away and was not on the phone in Praia da Luz the night she vanished.”
METROPOLITAN POLICE / AFP via Gett)
Madeleine would have marked her 19th birthday this year, which becomes the 15th year since she was snatched from her family.
Born on May 12, 2003, in Leicester, the tot grew up with her family in the quaint and leafy village of Rothley, with her parents, Gerry and Kate and younger twin siblings, Amelie and Sean.
The parents said they had put all the kids to bed in their ground floor apartment at 8.30pm and were dining out with friends just 55 metres away when they realised Maddie was missing but an hour and 30 minutes later.
News of the case travelled the globe and several suspects were quizzed but later released.
In the early years, as the investigation failed to find any useful leads, the case was closed in 2008.
Her parents set up Madeleine’s Fund: Leaving No Stone Unturned Ltd 12 days after she disappeared to help cover the cost of efforts to find her.
Less than a year later in March 2008 it was reported to have received over £1.8 million and today the search to find Madeleine has spent over £12 million.
Channel 5 TV crews have been following the case in Germany and Portugal for months, and the three part documentary is set to air soon.
George Holan is chief editor at Plainsmen Post and has articles published in many notable publications in the last decade.