Livestock judging makes participants mentally tough

Mercedes Ott, Plainsmen Post Photo Editor

The Frank Phillips College Livestock Judging team competed at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo on March 20th. Sophomores Bailey Eden and Tawni Strachan finished a few points out of the top 20 overall.

“The team performed the best we have all year and it really showed how much we learned throughout the year,” Eden said.

During the 2016-2017 school year, the team traveled to many states to participate in livestock judging. In January, Eden placed second in the Swine Division, only two points off of placing first at the National Western in Denver, Colorado. Eden says that this was “the most memorable moment” for him this year, but is happy to have a break.

“I’m really excited to have some time to relax and be able to help the team that will be taking over next year,” Eden said.

Livestock Judging consists of the evaluation of production livestock including cattle, swine, sheep, and goats, said Coach Lane Hale. Members of the Livestock Judging team disclosed that it takes a lot of hard work and dedication to be successful in this activity.

“It will push you to your breaking point, but I have never experienced something that was also so gratifying, humbling and life altering,” Strachan said. “This opportunity allowed me to meet people who could possibly provide viable connections for my professional career.”

According to the Facebook page of the Frank Phillips College Livestock Judging team, sophomore Ty Bateman finished up third in placings, ninth in swine and 19th overall out of almost 200 students in Houston.

“I could not ask for a better set of kids to work with and am extremely happy with the progress they’ve made,” Hale said.

1 Comment

One Response to “Livestock judging makes participants mentally tough”

1. Smithe689 on April 3rd, 2017 8:39 pm

Whats Taking place i am new to this, I stumbled upon this I have found It positively helpful and it has aided me out loads. I hope to contribute &amp assist other users like its helped me. Great job. ddgeccbeefadbaek

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

*